Register now to get rid of these ads!

53-56 f100 frame help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dumptruck88, Nov 8, 2012.

  1. dumptruck88
    Joined: Jul 2, 2012
    Posts: 9

    from lakewood

    Hey im new to the HAMB and had a few questions regarding the 53-56 f100 frame. I have a 55 f100 that is my daily driver with a I6 223. I want to put in a 351C. Im thinking about purchasing another frame and getting that all set up with an ifs and discbrakes and installing the 351C into that frame and when its all ready just switching the cab over. Will my 55 f100 cab fit onto the 53-56 frame?? and do i need to box the frame at all for the 351C?? Plz help!!!
  2. Jim Dieter
    Joined: Jun 27, 2008
    Posts: 387

    Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

    I have juggled frames on 53 to 55 with no problems except fot the panel frame that has an extension on the rear. And I would box, my caddy twisted the rails. I know the 351 isnt quite as heavy, but I think it would be safer.
  3. Had to put a '53 cab on a '55,,no problems,,,
  4. carlos
    Joined: May 2, 2005
    Posts: 1,382

    from ohio

    Had a bunch of f-100 2-56 53 55 had a 429cj motor in a 56 and they are some heavy motors no problem and a 53 with a 409 chevy

  5. Larry T
    Joined: Nov 24, 2004
    Posts: 7,660

    Larry T

    Don't cut out the crossmember that runs between the front cab mounts (under the transmission) and it should be ok.
    Joined: Mar 12, 2006
    Posts: 263


    It seems to me that working with the frame you've got would be easier than swapping all the sheet metal over. If you MII it, the motor mounts will be on the crossmember anyway. Remove the front sheet metal. Pull the motor, install the crossmember and suspension, install the motor and tranny. Remount the front sheet metal and it's a driver again.
  7. Tom Thomas
    Joined: Jan 25, 2009
    Posts: 49

    Tom Thomas
    from Nebraska

    Another opinion: If your 55 is your daily driver than I would go with your idea of building another frame. That approach will give you time to really detail the entire frame, etc. and in the end you will be glad you did.
  8. dumptruck88
    Joined: Jul 2, 2012
    Posts: 9

    from lakewood

    Awesome..Thank you all for the help!! Now to just find a frame haha.
  9. dumptruck88
    Joined: Jul 2, 2012
    Posts: 9

    from lakewood

    and say i find a frame with no paper work or anything, will a bill of sale be good enough??? or is there another way to make everything "legal"
  10. damagedduck
    Joined: Jun 16, 2011
    Posts: 2,342

    from Greeley Co

    Wher you at? Lakewood? your cab should be titled--chuck
  11. dumptruck88
    Joined: Jul 2, 2012
    Posts: 9

    from lakewood

    i was under the impression that the cab and frame had to have matching numbers or else you have to file paperwork with chp or dmv...idk i just want everything to be legal
  12. pimpin paint
    Joined: May 31, 2005
    Posts: 4,939

    pimpin paint
    from so cal


    Your '55 frame has numbers that now match your title:) If you swap a frame you'll be lookin at an assigned vin # in the state of California:eek:

    " A government by the people, for the people " my ass !
  13. Brentdlots
    Joined: Nov 19, 2008
    Posts: 38

    from California

    Yes the VIN number is stamped on the frame (usually in more than one place) and there should be a VIN plate on the inside of the glove box door. To be perfectly legal the numbers need to match, but consider what happens when someone welds a IFS front clip onto the rear of the original frame - All the numbers in front of the firewall are lost. When I do that I make sure and obliterate the numbers on the original peice before I scrap it so someone doesn't end up using my VIN number. Some folks might be tempted to change the numbers on a "new" frame to match the "old" frame and I'm sure that happens a lot but I suppose it could get you in trouble. I would check with your local DMV; there might be a way to use a different frame without having to give up your current VIN number but more than likely as pimpin paint says you will end up with an assigned number and a new VIN tag.
  14. When I frame clip a truck I cut out the rectanglar section containing the VIN and weld it to the newly grafted section. OldWolf
  15. OneBad56
    Joined: Dec 22, 2008
    Posts: 535


    And your 351 will need a rear sump pan too.

    You may have to modify the cross-menber slightly for oil pan clearance.

    I boxed mine to the firewall only.
  16. willymakeit
    Joined: Apr 13, 2009
    Posts: 1,326


    Check behind the spring frame mounts. They sometimes rust thru the frame at this point,esp the front mount of the rear springs. If I remember correctly the 53/54 have different spring length than the 55/56.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.