Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53-56 F-100 Tilt hood question;

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pist-n-Broke, Oct 31, 2015.

1. I was having a conversation with a Friend about the Hood on my 53 F-100 and it soon became the question "why not just buy a Kit?". Well you can do that if you want. I'm just not that kind of guy. I only have seen 2 different kits actually mounted and both were what I thought a Poor design at best. I'd like to see what's out there for these Trucks mounted and get first hand comments from the People who own and drive those Trucks. What do you have and how well do you like them?
    The Wizzard

2. FASI

FASI

When I made the fiberglass parts for these trucks as Fairlane Co. I used Mike Chessers kit and believe it is the best. I am pasting his contact info for your use. For information about the kit, contact Mike Chesser at 608 Braselton Hwy, Lawrenceville, GA 30043. His telephone number is 770-963-4571.
    His website is www.chesserbuilt.com

3. Thanks FASI. That is one of the style tilt systems I've seen. Not sure it's the same manufacturer of the ones I've seen. What else is there out there?
    The Wizzard

4. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

A fellow on www.ford-trucks.com did a nice job. I believe it was Randy on the 48-56 forum.

5. Also Paul K on Fordbarn has a 56 for sale with a tilt hood,could ask him.
    Edit-he's in Oregon.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Randyjack [ who sadly is no longer with us] posted this on www.ford-trucks.com a few years ago. Hope it is ok for me to post it here.

[​IMG]
    Click for full size image
    The engine is very accessible. The gas struts make it a long re ...

[​IMG]
    Face plates of the hinge fittings bear on each other and keep th ...

[​IMG]
    Having the hood pinned at the front corners ensures a great fit ...

[​IMG]
    One end of the gas strut attaches at the lower stock hinge hole. ...

[​IMG]
    The lower end of the strut is attached to the inner fender just ...

[​IMG]
    The radiator valance is modified leaving the center section to t ...

[​IMG]
    Fairing the hood to the cowl shape, I use the latch in the cente ...

[​IMG]
    I welded an angle under the hood at each corner corresponding to ...

[​IMG]
    The springs hold the pins engaged. Retracting the pins against ...

[​IMG]
    A clearance hole for the pin guide tube and two smaller holes fo ...

[​IMG]
    The fitting is just a flange welded to a tube. The flange is 1/ ...

[​IMG]
    The flange is welded to the tube at a compound angle. I couldn' ...

[​IMG]
    The tube length is determined entirely by the length of pin used ...

[​IMG]
    This is a view of the fitting installed without the pin. Washer ...

[​IMG]
    A 1/4" plate is welded to the hood brace and tapped for the atta ...

[​IMG]
    The latch is a cable-operated trunk latch scrounged fr

7. Mid fifty sells one or two kits, just wondering what the kit is for.......custom look or hood opening at freeway speeds?.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Spend a little time under the hood of a 53-56 and you will know. Actually I believe they were designed as a way to achieve better hood fit. I certainly enjoy my Mid-Fifties kit.

9. I think there is a few different reasons for forward opening hoods. For me it's good fit and not messing with the stock hinges that are Piss Poor at there best. Also if you ever do more under your hood than check the oil you might understand. I also understand a Ton of truck owners are just fine with the way Henry made them. That's fine too. For what ever reason there is, over the years I seem to have become a Negative guy. I seem to find and point out what's Wrong more so than giving Kudos for what's been done. I have no idea why but it sure has raised the Bar for products I buy and bolt on. What I'm doing here is trying to help a friend choose a well designed and built system that's easy to install. The above shown Kit is pretty common. Is that all that's out there?
    The Wizzard

10. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I use a kit made by No-Limit that uses a BMW torsion bar across the front of the radiator valance that carries at least 75% of the weight of the hood as it's being lifted open. The kit is 20 years old so I'm not sure it's still available, but a search of Rob's catalog might find it.

11. I see your point, the hinges suck real bad. I'm also used to laying on the fenders to do any engine work which sucks too.

12. banditomerc

banditomerc

Back in the seventies we would take a washer with a half inch inside diameter I put it on the points of the fenders and the points of the hood transfer that drill it out and run a rod from one end to the other nylock nut

13. banditomerc

banditomerc

... Then hunt down some hydraulic cylinders from a convertible and install those make for a sweet effect in the hood open

14. I've seen the tilt hoods done on a lot of 53-56 Ford trucks and even help a friend accomplish this back in the late 80's,it worked fine but he said the "That's Cool" look got old fast.

He bought another front end and went back with a stock look. HRP

15. I've done the top ram system for a complete Tilt front clip back in the 70's. Mine actually pushed strait forward then tilted. It wowed the crowd but once done I didn't care for it at all. The next one I did I left the cab section of the fenders bolted to the Cowell. That had it's issues also. I'm way past trick of the week crap and prefer things that work and work well.
    What else do we have to pick from?
    The Wizzard

16. H.R.P. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid for my Buddy.
    The Wizzard