Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 53/54 chevy repro horn ring-junk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59IMPALER, Feb 28, 2016.

1. I got my new horn ring from National Chevy Association for the '53. When I installed it, it didn't move. I put the original one back on, it worked fine. Upon closer inspection, I found that the center base was thicker than stock. That extra thickness bottomed out the horn ring. I'm going to sand down the plastic ring to get the clearance back, but what about the poor schmo who is just a parts installer? I'm guessing there's only one Taiwan plant building these for every vendor, building them all wrong. Any body else experience this?

2. i just plan to "finish" building EVERY repro part i buy. it is very rare when i take a part out of the box and just instal it. wrong hardware ie; needs metric tools, drives me crazy. bad fit, poor finishes. a lot of parts are not primed, just [barely] painted.
    fix the originals when possible

302GMC, Moriarity and RICH B like this.
  3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It's typical of reproduction parts. I bought the windshield for my 51 AD from the Truck and Car Shop and it was too tall. The glass installer had to cut nearly a quarter of inch off the top of the windshield in order for it to fit. Welcome to the club.