Register now to get rid of these ads!

'53/'54 Chevy hood trim, where to buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old-Soul, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Is it just me, or is google completely useless as a search engine?

Can anyone tell me where I can get repop hood trim for my '53 chevy?

Thanks

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Fence..the 53 hood bezel is something you will probaby have to find a decent one and get it rechromed, the plastic part you can get out of NCA. if you are talkin the hood "rocket" those are easy to come by NCA.

3. NCA=National Chevy Association in St Paul

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well I should be more clear Fence, The 53 Hood Bezel that has the plastic chevy crest in it..you cant get a re-pop or any from NCA, been at it for years. You can get the plastic part but not the bezel. The 54 you can get both the bezel and the plastic. A nice 53 hood bezel is hard to come by, if you find a nice one clean it up and get it replated.
    but as far as the 53/54 hood orament ( top bullet, winged bullet what ever you want to call it) Those are simple National Chevys got those.

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

thanks for the replies, but I was refering to the strip that goes across the top of my hood, and the little rod that forms the 'peak' on the nose of it.

I'll be shaving the bezel, as it's easier to do thart then get a new one (the one I have is pitted up badly)

I also replaced the '53 'eagle' (more like 'ugly ass lump') with the belair version (smaller, winger eagle = less ugly)

perhaps the NCA will have what I'm after, I'll take a look. Thanks!

6. Terry

Terry

Try Flat top bob

7. TERPU

TERPU

Well, if your shaving the emblem the two trim pieces don't match. It will look bad, so if you would like a really clean piece grab some 3/16" brake tubing and peak the whole hood. Weld slow and distortion will be at a minimum. This is a much cleaner look.

Thanks,
    Tim

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Terry, I'm unfamiliar with 'Flat top Bob' is this another HAMB user or a company?

Terpu, that is the plan in the long run, but I'm short on time so I just need to make do for now.

9. Dads-53

Dads-53

Go to a trim shop that puts on vinyl tops and get a strip that they put around the edge of the top and some of the clips that hold it on. Bend it to fit and then file and polish the end, looks like old JC Whitney chrome strip.
    Good Luck -Don

10. AaronP

AaronP
    from Hooker, OK

DITTO

Yes Flat-Top Bob is on the HAMB, Owens Salvage is the business and he is an alliance vendor.

11. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

12. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Hmmmmm - I have a saved search on e-bay for 1953-1954 Chevrolets items (with a lot of disqualifiers to eliminate hits on truck and paper memorabilia etc.) and I see them almost every time I do a scan.