Register now to get rid of these ads!

'53-'54 Chevy Car Guys. Will my Hood Fit???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky53, Aug 23, 2012.

1. lucky53

lucky53

Hey Guys!!!

I just got my Two 4 1/2" Round Edmunds Air Cleaners from O'Brien Truckers.

They are Awesome!!! Thank you Dennis O'Brien!!!

After thinking they were not going to fit on my Rochester "BC" carb.s because of the choke body on the "BC"carb. I'm running. I called and spoke to Dennis about this and come to find out they did fit on the carb.s They just did not sit as low on the throats of the carb.s as far as I thought they would.

So... Now they are on the carb.s and look Great! My question is will my hood close with these Air Cleaners on? I have not put my hood on yet after painting my car. I wonder how much room is under the hood? Have any of you guys run these Air cleaners on a dual carb manifold on 235 Chevy Engine in a '53 or '54 Car?

I know I can see if my hood will close by putting my hood back on my car. I just don't have plans yet to put my hood on I'm still working on some other stuff.

Once again Thank you for all your help on my build! You guys Rule!!!

Lucky

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like it would fit to me, unless you have some wierd hood.

lets see the whole car.

3. lucky53

lucky53

The Car...

And The Hood.

Attached Files:

4. AZ 54 BELAIR GUY

AZ 54 BELAIR GUY
    from AZ

Worse case you could leave the hood off and sale it to me, nice looking car can't wait to see it cruising around town!

5. Barnmiester

Barnmiester
    from wyoming

I had the same issue with a fifty Chevy, bolt the hood on and have a buddy lower it down real slow, if you can climb underneath with a flashlight and check for clearance. Judging from your pic it looks like it will fit. Good luck!

6. atomickustom

atomickustom

You SHOULD be fine but this is good advice. You can basically climb in next to the motor and crouch down to watch if you trust the person lowering the hood.

7. Snarl

Snarl

worst case, those cleaners can be shortened up....

8. river1

river1

I'd find some styrofoam cups the same height (you may need to cut the cup) as the filters. Put them on the filter base and shut the hood, if cups are in one piece you're good to go, if the cups are crushed you need to modify the filters.

Later jim

9. Keith English

Keith English

cups are a good idea..but it should clear just fine

10. Those air cleaners are bitchen! Hope they fit!(if they do let me know so I can get a pair!)

11. river1

river1

I think they'll clear myself but I would rather mess a couple of cups then that nice hood

Later jim

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Remember the stock air cleaner was a big tall humpback steel can probably higher than those filters.

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yeah but there was only one of them. The front one is the only one that might potentially hit the hood.

14. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Your back one will clear no problem. That front one is pushing it. It will be close. My guess is its not gonna fit. Too far forward and too high. The cup test is a good idea. Good luck man, cool car!

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Get one of those little men that turn the light out in the refrigerator when you close the door.

16. lucky53

lucky53

Thanks everyone!!!

I think I just need to put my hood on and see if they fit.

It should be easy to tell... I'll just stick my head through my core support while I have no radiator or grill in my car. A nice big opening!!! Right?

I was just wondering if if anyone had run these filters on their Car yet?

Thanks again!!!