Register now to get rid of these ads!

525 Steering Box, Best Brand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldguard, Dec 14, 2011.

1. I searched the threads and really did not find a solid answer, which GM 525 box is the best? I saw several against the Flaming River brand, but how about Speedway or Borgeson? Ideas? What has been your experience?? I need to buy one for the gasser and don't want to buy any junk. Thanks for the input.
    [​IMG]

2. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

The 525 boxes we have are pretty bullet proof. I dont know why anyone thats used them would complain. I have been in returns 4 years here and dont believe I have ever taken one back for defects. Our (Flaming River) entire line of boxes has been moved in house over the last 2 years so all of them are now made in USA other than the old stock that is out in the market. They were never made in China which is a common misconseption of some of our products.

3. I just picked up what I thought was a 525 out of an 89 s-10 pick-up. I have come to find out that it is most likely a 530 box because it has the larger diameter pitman shaft and uses the same pitman arm as the 700 series power box. It is a variable ratio manual unit so we will see just how well it works in my 36 sedan. The price was right ,,, 30 bucks,,, came from a low mile truck so its nice and tight. Mitch.

4. No disrespect Micky, I had tried the search funtion and there were several negative comments but I try to think of the source of information as well and several folks viewed this thread but it lacked the replies I thought it would initiate for valid info. So you are telling me that the Flaming River units are US made and in house? Well that is good news for sure. Any more info or suggestions?

5. yruhot

yruhot

I did the same as Mitch 36. bought a manual s-10 box thinking it was a 525. Looked just like one. mocked it up for my 55 chevy gasser and it works good but the ratio is so slow. Like driving the queen mary. I was wowndering about one of those steering "Quickener" devices for like Modified I see in speed way. Anyone used one of them. If I "quichened up the ratio it would be just fine. Thanks yruhot.......Doug

6. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

From what I seen from archives here most posts were from 2006 thru 2008 and about the Vega boxes in particular. We do also offer a fast ratio 525 that is 16.1 instead of 20.1. The standard ratio in a 525 was 24.1 which we do not make.

Like I said earlier, we are now making ALL boxes in house, Corvair, Vega, Mopar 525, etc. Some Vega and 525 castings are still here from S. America, but we are assembling all of them here and new USA castings have already hit the market in the Mustang, Mopar and Corvair, Vega is finished in about 3 weeks. If you had or have a problem, please let me know and I can handle it personally. I come from a car builder background of 20+ years as a pro shop and used their products long before I worked for them. I can tell you literally thousands have been sold, and the ratio to complaints is far less than what you read on here. They are really working hard on manufacturing everything they sell and I believe we are at about 96% made in USA as a company. Street Rodder Road Tour came through and I believe they were impressed.

If anyone needs help, call me direct. 800-648-8022 ext 113

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Micky. That's good to know.

8. Thanks for the solid information Micky, I guess I am one of the guys who would rather buy a good brand and quality over pricing as my life is worth more then a bargain basement unit. (at least to me!) :D I wonder which ratio would work best in my '42 Chevy gasser straight axle Blown BBC car? I am leaning towards the slower one but this is just a guess, ideas? again? Thanks for your input.

9. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

I would sick with the standard ratio if it were my choice.

10. Micky , Thank's for your input. I had a problem with a vega box from your company.
    I will buy your corvair box for the current project. I like "Made in USA"
    Terry

11. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

I am using our Corvair box in my Austin gasser. Im the one driving it at 150+ mph, so I believe in it.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just finishing a 40 chassis with a 525 for a customer and the box has a tag Made In Canada.

13. I ended up buying a Borgeson rebuilt 530 Saginaw box as the variable ratio should be benificial. Any other input on front or rear steer?

14. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I've been thinking about putting a 525 box in my 40,
    and it looks like the same box was used in many newer cars,
    (98 jeep wrangler for example)

there's a cardone rebuild at oreilly's for $180 with core,
    is this the same box with a useable ratio?
    there is a lifetime warranty which is cool if/when it wears out,
    which seems like a better deal (for me) in the long run.

TP

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012