Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 52 vicky rod & custom survivor.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by magoozi, Apr 13, 2010.

1. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Thanks Dave, see you this weekend.

2. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I just saw that dimple in the side for the rear bumper, my 54 doesnt have that, but its actually something mine could use. With all the work I am doing to mine right now, it might be a good idea to put that in! haha!

I also just realized that you guys are in San Diego too! I met Justin briefly at the Big 3 in San Diego, he had recently bought a roadster shell from my brother in Fallbrook. Hope you didnt pay tooooo much lol!

If you have any other questions, I can try to answer them, just pm me on here!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Just got back from the Beatnick show, had a blast, to bad Justin missed out. Justin showed me the 31 roadster body, it's bitch'en, thanks for posting

4. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Somebody please answer, so I can end this thread. Did Rod and Custom give out decals to the cars they featured?

5. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Please, does anybody know the history on this car ? Did Rod and custom give out dash decals for the cars they featured ? Any help would be apreciated.

6. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I ask my friend Jimmy Ramirez , and he remembers that Hot Rod Magazine gave out licence plates, and Rod and Custom gave out dash decals to their featured cars from 1956-1959, but I still need to varify this. So the search is still on to find the history of this car.

7. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

I had a car in the Rod & Custom Sept 1970 issue . They sent me a copy of the issue with that sticker attached to the cover . I took the sticker off but can't seem to find it now . Also got a Christmas card from them that year too ..............32BC

Attached Files:

8. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Hey I shure apreciate the info, at least now I know that was'nt some sticker off a model car, so for now, we know that Rod and Custom gave out stickers till 1970. My main concern is I need to know if the roof was off white , or burgandy. the search continues? does any body have any info on this car?

9. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Attached Files:

10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The sticker looks just like the one on the ashtray, so we know the car was in the magazine from 1956 on, thanks so much Bob for this information, I talked to my friend Kevin Eliliot, and he said that the problem is that all their archives are stored in some building in El Segundo. So my only hope is someone that is a little book freak.

11. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

magoozi......This was in a 1956 R&C but it said anyone who's car had been in the mag before 1956 , all 300 + of them , could send for the sticker . Any car that was a "feature car" or "out of the 48" or a "readers car of the month" could send for the sticker . So a car in the first issue could have one if they requested it in 1956 .......

12. I believe I have found your Vickie in the February 1957 issue.

Looks like it was built in Lincoln Nebraska and owned by Joe Gutgsell.

Has a different interior and was painted black. The tube grille seems to be a later addition along with the paint but everything else seems pretty much right on.

Mick

Attached Files:

13. Nice score.

Subscribed.

14. OLLIN

OLLIN

That looks like it could be it!
    looks cool with the 54 chevy grill too. I dig the horizontal tuck and roll in the later incarnation.

15. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Man I am crossing my fingers, did it have the olds rocket withe the three speed lasalle ? did it have the louvered hood ? sorry for all the questions but the picture is so small , I can't read the text. Now I have to find a copy of the magazine or some photostats, I am going to scrape the paint in the trunk this week to see if I can find some black paint. If there is any way you could enlarge the picture and post it , I would really apreciate it. Thanks for all your work , I hope we finaly found the history of the car.

16. Rikster

Rikster

Click the thumbnail!

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I was able to enlarge the picture and read the text, I am pretty shure that is the car, it has the same spotlights, headlight rings, gas filler neck treatment sidetrim, the dash in the car is black, the same tail light treatment, are they any more pages in the article ?

18. After you click the thumbnail, you can try holding down the ctrl button and then the + button to enlarge more, or at least it works with my computer.

Crap, and click on the image so it opens in another window then do the + trick, my computer skills are marginal

Would be cool if this turns out to be the featured car.

19. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Thanks Rik, you can tell I am not a computer guy.

20. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Man it's Christmas in July, I do like the later uphostery, but is it sacrilige to copy the later upholstery, what is your opinion Rik? also the car came with two hoods, one is smooth like the picture and the other is lovered ?

21. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Lurker Mick, I just wanted to thank you again, man , I am so excited, I did'nt get much sleep last night. It is just cool, when there is a story behind a car. Is there any chance you can take a picture of the cover , so I know what to look for at the swapmeets, from the guys selling the old magazines, also I am not that sharp on fifties fords, are those the stock bumpers, because I am missing them?

22. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

23. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

It turns out, that Justin b , had the magazine waded up in his garage all the time, man it was right under our nose all the time, anyway he is bringing the magazine saterday, I just have to talk him out of it. I checked the firewall and it is black , so it is defenetly the car. thanks Rik for posting the cover.

24. Rikster

Rikster

Great news!!!!

Here are some larger scans of the R&C article.

Click on the photos to get the original (larger) scans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Neat car! It's great that some of the history has been discovered.

26. cool find i would restore it like pics in the mag

27. chrisser

chrisser

If that is the same car in the mag, might be worth trying to track down the relatives of the original builder (or he may still be alive).

Might be able to get some first hand or second hand info, pics, etc.

Sounds like a name that won't be all that common.

28. chrisser

chrisser

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, those cars always look great in really shiny black.
    One thing a guys has to remember is that a lot of customs, especially mild customs got changed quite often as styles changed. Hence the tube grill and louvered hood.
    Myself, I'd put it back almost faithful to the original build but with the louvered hood and an interior more in line with what is in it now. I like the Chevy Grill better than the tube grill though.
    Unless you are just totally hung up on the "gotta have it look exactly like it was in the magazine" deal, just do it period correct and make it your own. That means paint and trim choices that were available in 1957.
    It will always be a "former Rod and Custom feature car" even if you put your own paint color and interior in.

30. kruizin

kruizin

What I cant understand is the talk of a fender mounted gas tank opening being removed. I have owned 5, 52 - 54 Fords Mercs, Monarchs and Meteors and all the gas filler pipes were behind the liceince plate on the lower rear panel below the trunk opening.In fact Ford was the first to put it there for all their passenger cars. He might have removed it from the rear panel to smooth it out and places the plate on the bumper..Just my thoughts Right or Wrong...