Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 52 Ford flathead fuel pump push rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rink52, Oct 21, 2019.

1. rink52

rink52
    from Milford,De

52 Ford flathead fuel pump push rod

when I bought this car, the mechanical fuel pump and push rod was replaced with an elec. pump. My question is ; how do I install a new push rod so I can put the mechanical pump back on car in line w/elec pump ? Can I just insert it down through the top , assuming there is a bushing in place. Does it thread on to something at the cam or just ride there ? How do I know that it is all the way down?

Thanks for any and all help.

Bob Rinker

2. 4F6782E3-07AD-4DCF-9AEF-E709AEFBFB86.jpeg AD88F650-3231-4FE0-8FA1-58497782E457.jpeg 61974E55-D71F-46AD-A6A2-916970996EEB.jpeg If your car came with electric pump,someone should have installed a “plug” to block the fuel pump aperture or else significant oil will escape thru the non bushed hole. The “plug” will have to be removed in order for the pushrod to take its place. The bushing is relatively soft brass that captures the pump rod and allows only a slight amount of oil to escape. Flatheads Forever! You can tell if the rod is bottomed out by turning the engine thru and noticing the pushrod moving vertically up and down. Flathead carbs only require 2-3 lbs fuel pressure, so generally both electric and manual are NOT needed together unless you have some special circumstances.

3. rink52

rink52
    from Milford,De

Just confirmed with Mac's Parts,N.Y. (now Eckler's Parts) that the fuel pump push rod with the ridge(lip) like a top hat was incorrectly sent to them by a supplier and then sent to me. They have been pulled from the shelves and will be replaced with the correct push rod ( with a groove in one end). This still leaves one question, does the end with groove go toward cam or go up toward the fuel pump arm?

Again Thanks,
    Bob Rinker