Register now to get rid of these ads!

'52 Dodge....50s or 60s style?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Donzie

Donzie

I'm starting to lay out a plan for the Dodge. I like the 50s look of white wides and 'caps but I also like the 60s chrome reverse and narrow whites.
    Either way I'd shave the handles, but with the 50s I'd run spots.
    I'm thinking lake pipes which could go either way.
    50s style would include skirts.
    The headlights will get frenched either way, still not sure what to do about tail lights.
    Inside I'll maybe keep the stock steering wheel for the 50s look but would definetly update it (maybe metalflake) for the 60s.
    I guess I would just like a few opinions and ideas.
    Oh BTW, I KNOW it's a 4 dr and it will remain that way. :D

Here's a couple of photoshopped pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. LoSoto

LoSoto

50s wide whites with skirts and caps....beautiful! Alittle bit of metalflake around the cabin and that is one super ride!

3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I agree with that guy ^^^^^^^

Did you ever find anything out about steering wheels?

4. vexner

vexner

I think you should go with the early 60's,with a very contrasting scallops,my two cents either way it's a cool ride

5. Donzie

Donzie

Thanks.
    No, I never really found out anything definete on the steering wheel question.

Color-wise (for now) I'm just going to rattle can it flat black with a gloss red roof. No red wheels unless they're under hubcaps. :D
    I was thinking about a black scallop on the roof from the front egde back, but that would probably be all. Trying to keep it simple.
    Something like this.

Attached Files:

6. wide whites, lancers, appletons, heavy flake roof, nice t & r interior and you are ready to roll

7. IMO the best looking customs are styled from the years when they were new. What I mean is- a '40 Ford coupe looks best done in a '40's style, a '51 Merc looks best done in an early fifties style, a '60 T-bird looks best done in early sixties style. Styles evolved and came about based on the new cars available for the treatment. Panel jobs for flat paneled cars, frenched headlights on smooth round cars, etc. Wide whites are a natural on your car, pinners look too "forced"

So I guess what I'm saying is- are you looking to style the car, or pick a year range and follow the popular trends for that year?

8. Donzie

Donzie

I understand what you're saying. If you were building a custom based on a new model year that would make sense.
    My thoughts are more of building a custom based on a car several years old and using parts of newer models giving the car an updated look. As with putting early 50s grilles in late 40s cars.
    I also like that '60s look (maybe 'cause I actually remember those years :D).
    But you're right, sometimes it's a "forced" look at doesn't come all that well.

9. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Yup thats what I'd do;)

10. Donzie

Donzie

Rich, got an extra set of wide whites lying around? :D

11. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'll check and see. I think Scott has the ones I took off the pickup. Don't know if he useing them or not.

12. Donzie

Donzie

Seriously?
    Do know what size they are?
    I should see if Frank would sell me back the Lancer hubcaps.

13. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Don't hold yer breath :eek::D

14. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I think it would look good either way. Here is my old 49 Dodge four door, they are great driving cars(wish I still had it).

Attached Files:

15. Donzie

Donzie

Sometimes you just stumble on to something.... I did.
    I was looking through some old threads and found this '50 Dodge that belongs to frankenstien's dad.
    Damn, this is what I was after. A combination of 50s and 60s styles that "fit".
    Unchopped and tasteful.
    Anyone know what the rear bumper is off of?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  16. moparkevin

moparkevin

man that gives me some hope for my 49 dodge..

17. Cruiser

Cruiser

I vote for this color combination it looks very cool, good luck with you choice. Your ride will be looking cool soon..............

CRUISER :cool:[​IMG]

18. Donzie

Donzie

Yea, we favor this color scheme also.
    Here's the next version.....we're getting closer.
    I need to find some side spears off of a Wayfarer or any model that had the shorts ones on just the front fender.