Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Coronet issue......again!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sincitysled52, May 22, 2009.

1. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

So thanks to you guys, I got the tranny issue taken care of. I drove it twice and it went smooth. After sitting for 3 days I went to start it and it cranked a few times. After the second attempt I heard a loud "bang" and that was it. It wouldn't crank after that all you can hear is the clicking of the solonoid. I pulled the starter and it spun by hand but I checked it on the battery and it spins free. Checked power going into and coming from the solonoid it's good. I put a breaker bar on the engine and it spins. Dont know what else? Any advice?
    230 3.8 Flat head straight 6

2. George

George

The enine will turn over, at least a full turn(?), & the starter spins out of the engine. hmm Mopar starters for V8s can jam up when they start dieing, had it happen a couple times. I've had to hit them with a stick & hammer, usually get a start or 2 before they jam again. Where it'll spin with no load, the parts house usually won't replace under warranty. Could be teeth on the flywheel also, where they don't make a bang jamming.

3. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

I havent tried to tturn it a full turn, only a few inches just to see if it had jammed. Should I spin it? Could the BANG been a tooth on the flywheel breaking off?

4. George

George

I'd put a rachet on the crank bolt & see if it'll turn over 1 full cycle, should tell you if anything turned loose inside.