Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '52 3100 AntiRoll bars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Dec 3, 2012.

1. oj

oj

I have a customer asking about antiroll bars for his pickup, a '52 Chevy 3100. It has leaf springs and i am thinking it don't need antiroll bars, the rigid axles act as if there is an antiroll bar (well, kinda).
    What do you guys think?

2. garcoal

garcoal

only if he wants to make turns, swaybars are accurately named they help take the lean out of turning

3. The parallel leaf spring (Hotchkiss) does NOT act as an anti-roll bar. The only solid axle setup that DOES act as an anti-roll bar is a split wishbone transverse leaf (hairpins the same; 4 bars do not).

However, those trucks are usually setup so stiff that anti-roll bars are not necessary because it doesn't roll due to the spring stiffness.

Take out a few springs to ease the ride, and you'll likely want one or two anti-roll bars.

Cosmo

4. GaryN

GaryN

Put one on my '49 and the difference in ride quality and handling was like day and night. Best improvement for the price IMHO. I also added one to the rear end off an old '80s Firebird. If was a freebee and other than drilling a hole in each frame rail a bolt on.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

As cosmo says, a solid axle does not act as an anti-swaybar.

Ask questions before you buy. Do some homework, about half the anti-swaybars on the market do nothing but add weight to the car/truck, and lighten your wallet.

Think "spring" (high memory value) material...NOT just cold rolled steel bar..!

Mike

6. oj

oj

What little i have road tested the truck after doing work on it and it seems so stiff that i can't see that antiroll will do any good, but i guess i am wrong.
    Antiroll bars front and rear are on his xmas list, i'll tell his wife to order them up for him.
    Thanks guys, oj