Register now to get rid of these ads!

'52 235 six fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Indychus, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

I have a '52 styleline with the original 235/powerglide in it. The previous owner installed a mr gasket electric fuel pump, and I want to go back to a mechanical. There is a mechanical pump still bolted to the car (not original), but I assume it does not work, hence the electric unit.

I have several small block fuel pumps (a holley and two carters) that look identical to the pump that is on the car it except for the position of the ports. Can I just re-clock one of the small block pumps and use it?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

NO ! The internal operating arm is different. There is only 2 SAE standard mounting flange styles.

3. birdman42

birdman42

Chevs of the 40's will hook you up

4. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Thanks guys. I'll get one ordered. I was hoping to use what I have on hand and save some cash.

I am getting some really bad gas fumes, and I don't think the electric pump is helping the situation. The carb on the car is not original and does not have the automatic choke setup or the correct ports for the vacuum advance. I have the original carb, it just needs to be rebuilt. I am hoping that by rebuilding the original carb and getting a mechanical pump back on it I will solve the fumes issue.

Is there anything else I should be checking?

5. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

NAPA or an old-school parts house should be able to order it from a local wherehouse. Make sure the pump has screws around the housing, so you can clock the fittings to line up with the fuel lines. Check your fuel line and tank filler tube and vent hose.

Good Luck, Tim

6. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Thanks again guys... just wanted to provide a little closure as I hate to see dead threads left hanging.... I got the correct original pump installed, plus rebuilt the original carb and got the vacuum advance and auto-choke working properly. Coupled with a complete new exhaust system, my eye-watering fumes are a thing of the past. The car feels like it picked up 20 horsepower and runs smoother than it ever has as an added bonus. I have rebuilt the non-original carb as well on the off chance that I can find me an offy dual carb manifold sometime in the future.