Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Studebaker business coupe to South East Gasser rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Feb 21, 2015.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

You are a craftsman brother !

What gear ratio will be in the rear end?

Glenn

2. CGkidd

CGkidd

Just awesome.

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I got a little ahead of my self, here's a pic of the attachment point for the little side panel. You can also see the back side where I had to replace the bottom of the quarter panel we talked about earlier in the build. studebaker 006.JPG

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The center part of the trunk floor. studebaker 019.JPG

5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The piece that houses the slip joint for the rear of the trans tunnel installed. studebaker 020.JPG

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now the trunk bulkhead installed. I tried to take the pic so you could see a little bit of how it all curves into place, something only found in Studebakers. studebaker 021.JPG studebaker 022.JPG

7. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates you taking the time to take and post the photos and document your builds. Fantastic work.

Olson, Quain Stott and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Not sure yet on the rear gear. The trans has a 2.50 low gear so it's going to need a 5.40 or something like that to get it too leave right.

AHotRod likes this.
  9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Big A, It is hard to find time to do it but I enjoy this site so much I just try to do my part in keeping it going. I wish I had time to do a thread on all of my projects but then I would not have time to do any projects LOL.

OahuEli and AHotRod like this.
  10. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey Quain;
    Yes I would like some more detailed pics of the rockers, if it's not too much trouble.
    TIA.
    Marcus...

Quain Stott likes this.
  11. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

12. loudbang

loudbang

Man you must have a clone or twin you are busier that a one armed wallpaper hanger. And your clone does nice work just like you. :rolleyes:

OahuEli, Quain Stott and volvobrynk like this.
  13. captmullette

captmullette

you have some serious skills.......met at the atl 10,000, ya'll coming back this year ? also where can I get a seat like that....thanks

Quain Stott likes this.
  14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I do sort of have a clone, My nephew 21 year old Donovan Stott has been helping me when he can for the last year or so, just trying to learn this stuff. Some of y'all might remember Donovan he drives the White Trash Anglia in our gasser group. I happy that he's learning this madness so he can carry on after I'm gone.

15. Donovan is a lucky man. When I was 21 I sure wasn't doing this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loudbang, volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Big A, it is odd that someone his age would be into old school racing as much as he is. Donovan had a very promising career in motocross but got a late start and then got hurt a few years ago, by then he knew his age would intercept before he could make it to the top. When he made the decision to race cars I told him that he was not going to be like most and just be handed a race car. If he wanted to race he would have to build it himself. So we found a the old Anglia gasser for cheap and he went to work. It's not nice but at the time he built it he was only 19 years old. He even built his own engine. The lucky part came in with the use of my shop, most kids don't have that. He's trying to save his money now for a better transmission.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  17. Saxxon

Saxxon

Total respect for the way Donovan has built his own car and the success he has had with. Kudos to you and Mitch for that as well. This day and age...Earning it... has become a lost quality...

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The next few pics are in real time. The things I got done today.
    I always leave the bar behind the seat out until I'm finished fitting the tin work in the back. So now that it finished here's the seat bar installed. the rule book says 1 1/4" x .065 but I went with 1 5/8" x .065 because it has a lot of bend. It's also a good idea to leave out the doors bars until the last thing also. I'm getting old and it gets rough crawling in and out. studebaker 008.JPG

volvobrynk, Dog_Patch and AHotRod like this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Next today was the seat belt mounts. The one in the center is for the crouch strap. The shoulder belts will mount too the seat bar. In this pic you can also see the drive shaft loop. and front ladder bar mounts. studebaker 009.JPG

volvobrynk, Dog_Patch and AHotRod like this.
  20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This took most of my time today, the gas petal, my dad called it the foot feed. Making the parts don't take a lot of time, figuring out the angles and pivots take some time to get right. The pivot tacked on and brackets cut out. everything is 4130 chrome moly. If your using mild steel everything should be a little bigger. studebaker 001.JPG

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Quain, I have a question.
    I see a locator bar on the rear end.
    My understanding is they are not needed on leaf spring suspensions.
    Can you explain if I'm misinformed ?
    Best regards,
    Glenn

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is a very important part that gets left off more often than not. The gas petal stop, I make them adjustable in case you change carbs or something. With out it you can bend the carb linkage or worse cause to throttle to hang wide open, plus I just like the feel of a positive stop. studebaker 003.JPG

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's the whole mess welded in the car (note the stop). Still have to make the petal pad. This is all I got done today. just finished supper now back to the shop, I'm working on another project tonight. studebaker 007.JPG

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We are not going to have our show there this year. Our show is just not for the big super tracks. We enjoy it more when the show only last a few hours. I think the 10,000 is a great show and it's going to get better as time go on but we have small track begging us to come so we are going to do more of them this year. We are going to do the big PDRA race at Rockingham April 11th.
    I wasn't real happy with the seats, when I ordered them I thought they were fiberglass but they are real thin plastic. I'm going to have too add some extra aluminum bracing to make them strong enough too be safe. It's often overlooked at how strong a seat need to be and be mounted. If the seat or mounts brake in a crash the seat belts become useless.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Glenn because of the floater instead of the housing being mounted solid to the spring it's a good idea to use a panhard bar. A wishbone or diagonal link would work better but our rules don't allow the modern stuff.

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  26. You do some amazing work. Can't wait to see this one racing!

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

Awesome build!

volvobrynk and Quain Stott like this.
  28. Wheelsupchad

Wheelsupchad

Nice work Quain

Quain Stott likes this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You are doing some phenomenal work.
    Great job of showing what it takes to make the small parts that seem to take as much time as the large parts but yet are just as important to be safe and work good and last a long time.

volvobrynk, Quain Stott and AHotRod like this.
  30. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Not in real time again. The brake and clutch petals we make as we do most everything else. They are very simple, just a shaft that runs through the whole mess that is bolted to the clutch petal with one simple linkage to pull the clutch fork back. The brake petal pivots around the same shaft, real simple and trouble free. The only problem with this setup is the clutch fork has to line up right with the arm (paper pattern) that will hang down when finished. When mounting the engine it's a good idea to keep this in mind just 1/2" up or down will save a lot of trouble later. Sometimes I have to relocate the clutch ball in the bell housing to make everything right. Nothing is too much trouble to get rid of a z bar set up. Chevy has two choices in bell housings. An early chevy 2 that comes out at the 8 o:clock position or the stander bell housing that comes out at the 9 o:clock position. Also you can get a bell housing with a cross shaft. The cool thing about this set up is it looks era correct from inside the car when finished because most light weight A/G cars used a 50 chevy setup or something similar that came up through the floor. The modern master cylinder will be hid when finished. studebaker 010.JPG studebaker 009.JPG studebaker 004.JPG

volvobrynk, AHotRod and enloe like this.