Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Pontiac Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldy57, Mar 5, 2009.

1. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Looks good so far, keep us up to date on your 51 gasser

2. rc32tx

rc32tx

You have a great start and plenty of time to change whatever details you don't like. The front end/clip is awesome.

3. xsteve

xsteve
    from puyallup

That thing is going to be awesome, love it.

4. oldy57

oldy57

More pics of the pontiac. I started on the front sheetmetal today. Should have it done tomorrow, at least the paint off. I also got a set of wheelie bars with the car. They won't go on it. They don't look right. I am looking more at the Pontiac 389 for a motor. The guy selling it needs cash. It has a 2 four intake, solid cam, high compression pistons, well built with a high stall and tranny.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

go 6 cyl "jimmy" 302. 3 2's. 4 speed. priceless. Or pontiac. no chevy please. way overdone. if you absolutely had to, do the 292 (283). twist it to 8 grand and no one will care about sbc power. had jr fueler, fun, fun, fun w/ 292. good luck.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. FuelFC

FuelFC

Pontiac it if you can afford it. And do put that trim back on, every piece you can find and a little extra for good measure. That is going to be one very cool looking car.

Damn that thing is in nice shape.

7. seems most everyone recons pontiac in a pontiac. me too! nice car. good luck.

8. rick finch

rick finch

Go PONTIAC, no question about it! You are a lucky man, that car is bitchin'.....................please keep posting updates, this is going to be a good one!:cool:

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Great score, man! I'm hoping you run most of the Poncho trim (except for front bumper and hood ornament). I'd have to build the snot out of a 455 (tell everyone it's a 389) with a 4-speed. '57 Pontiac rear (4.30's) would be perfect. Build some fenderwell headers and go man go!!! I did this once with a '57 Chieftain - your '51 coupe would be much cooler! I'm cryin'...

10. furious

furious
    from Hazlet, NJ

Very sweet. Blow their doors off!

11. Saxxon

Saxxon

Gotta go with the 389. That's far more cool than a sbc

I also like the idea of keeping all the trim on the front and going with fenderwell headers

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Those tail lights, and the rear side Pontiac emblems, really make it stand out. Body looks straight too. Wanna trade for my 51 Chevy Business Coupe? I did'nt think so. I like the Jimmy six idea also. But, I'd still go Hydro for a trans. Keep the wheelie bars for static displays. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. Put a 455 in it with 6X 350 heads, bracket race cam , 66 tri power. 2.64 low T-10 , 4.10 -4.30 gear and get ready to pull second gear..quick!
    BTW, A 292 is a .060 over-bored 283

14. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Gotta say I luv the look and what your plans are

15. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Looks real good. Nice to see something a little different for a change. My two cents use a Pontiac engine to keep with the interesting body.

16. Play400

Play400

Saxxon, your avatar, is it the old "Elephant Hunter". Seen it last fall for the first time in a looong time.

17. Get the 389 and stroke it to a 421 later! That car deserves a Poncho motor.

18. Saxxon

Saxxon

Yup.. sure is
    Sent you a PM

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

O.K., most everyone says to use a Pont engine, for originality, and to be different than everyone else. So, how about a Pont straight 8, and still with a Hydro? Now, that would be different, and keep it ALL Pont? I'm actually halfway serious about this. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Just remembered something, my best friend in high school, and while he was attending community college, drove a 52 Pontiac, I think it was a hardtop, with a straight 8 and a Hydro. Another friend, who was into "art", painted GTO emblems on the lower trailing ends of the front fenders. A 52 Pontiac GTO.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

love those pontiacs, not as gassers though.

21. oldy57

oldy57

I am leaning towards the Pontiac motor. I am trying to get the 389 from the guy who is selling it. He is hard to deal with. I hope he is willing to let it go soon. He wants to sell it but doesn't want to do any work in the process. It is still in a car.
    The 292 small block is now going into another car. It was a well built motor, stroked 283 with 327 crank.
    I stripped the paint off the front end this week. The fenders are quite nice, very little rust, a few dents.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also picked up the decals for the car. The guy I bought the car from had them made up but were not ready when IO got the car. The C-GAS should have been C/GAS. I will het that fixed. The decals look great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. I would go with a Pontiac 400 or 455 are easier and cheaper to find than a 389

23. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

Very cool looking car! I love the coupe body style...

24. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

the centerlines are ugly as hell

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I wouldnt have been that rude about it, but it would look better with some more nostalgic period correct wheels :cool:

26. RacerRick

RacerRick

If you have the SBC parts and are in canada - SBC the car. Remember that canadian pontiacs were built on chevrolet frames and came with chevrolet drivetrains.

But it needs to be a stickshift car with a solid cam that likes to wind! Too bad you are soo far away, I even know the perfect motor for the car - a built 327!

27. oldy57

oldy57

The Centerlines are going. The ones in the last pics are fake Centerlines, just rollers for the car. I am looking for period wheels.
    The car is an American Pontiac. If I can get the 389 that is the way I will go. The Tunel Ram is gone tomorrow.

28. oldy57

oldy57

I did some trading today and ended up with the better deal. New Moon tank, was told it is a 5 gallon tank. I tried it on the car and it looks good. Most of the Pontiac grill will have to go. The grill comes apart with screws. With little cutting I could use a lot of it. I won't cut it up untill further mock up. I would like to keep as much of the grill as I can. It is a tight fit with the hood trim. I could modify the valance and make it fit better, again I won't cut it yet. Sorry about the poor pics, it's raining here.
    I also have a lead on another Pontiac motor and trans, will hear more about it later in the week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

looks kick ass, did you find a motor yet?

30. Very tough looking build.....I'm diggin' the graphics!