Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconvan, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

looking very good nice work.

2. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks! Your Plymouth is cool, too. I watched your thread as it was coming together; nice job on the frame swap.

Here's 3 coats of 2K...

Attached Files:

3. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I painted the firewall and dash today. I let my grandson pick the color and I like the way it came out.

Attached Files:

4. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Today I took out the old rotten headliner and doorpanels, wire brushed all the crud off the inside of the roof, and got the column painted. It's not going to have interior for now, just some kind of seat to sit on and something on the floor. Maybe some rubber mat material from Rubber Cal.

Attached Files:

5. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Got the dash put together and bolted in.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

6. Great thread!!! I'm thinkimg of doing the same disk setup in the next few wees on my 48 P15.

7. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Cool, post a few pictures when you do. This seems like the most cost effective way to do a disc swap.

I had some old single stage white paint left over so I decided to primer the rockers, do a quick wet sand, and shoot them white rather than just leave them in primer. Im hoping when I clean the car up and run a buffer across the old paint it'll be somewhat close but it's mainly for rust protection until i get around to painting the whole car. So if it sticks out for now; no biggie. Also finished the welding and painted the motor and trans mounts. Drivetrain should be going in place for good tomorrow. I cleaned out the trunk as it's the last rusted area to fix. It's more solid than it looks and I saved the whole trunk pan from the 49 for repairs so it shouldn't be too bad. Im thinking the spare tire well is going to go away but I'm not sure yet.

Attached Files:

8. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I wire brushed the trunk floor today and it's fairly solid other than the drivers side corner. I'm going to just ditch the spare tire well; the one on the other floor pan has some bad spots, too. Motor is back in and bolted down.

Attached Files:

9. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I got my patches in. I just need to finish welding all the way around and then hit it with a couple coats of POR-15. That was the last rusted out area to fix other than a smal spot under the battery tray.

Attached Files:

10. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Trunk is finished & painted. I also got my driveline angles set, pulled the rearend back out, finished welding on the spring pads and painted it. I should be putting the rear and the fuel tank in tomorrow and start running brake & fuel lines.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  11. murfman

murfman

looking gooooood!

12. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Yeah, with the bigger stuff done it's coming along fairly quick now. Im hoping for a test drive by years end or soon after. Rearend is in, shocks and rear brakes are on, and the fuel tank is in. I should be plumbing fuel and brakes this week. On the wheels I've got the stockers with the Plymouth center caps. What do you guys think on the wheel color; orange or white?

Attached Files:

13. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

I vote for Orange.

14. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I think that's the way Im going. The whole car will be orange eventually so no sense in painting them twice.

15. n847

n847

I say white with an orange pinstripe!

16. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

That's a thought; I'll have to think about that.
    I had the day off so I got everything on the brakes plumbed except the front calipers. Brake pedal is hooked up, clutch is hooked up, accelerator pedal is in, dash is bolted down and starter is in. Run fuel lines and start on some wiring tomorrow and Sunday.

Attached Files:

17. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I got the wiring harness run from the trunk to the fusebox location and started on a seat. I had this seat left over and am going to go ahead and use it even though a split seat in a fourdoor may be kind of weird. It's comfy, not torn up, and free. I'll clean it up once the base is done and am ready to mount it permanant. The base came from the rear seat in a late model Chevy extended cab and I narrowed it 4 inches. I also cleaned up the steering wheel, fixed the cracks, and painted it.

Attached Files:

18. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Lots of tedious stuff done this weekend. I had made a wiring harness for the 49 from a Buick G-body and it worked good so I decied to transfer it to here. I laid it out and made some changes before the transplant such as fixing and using the factory turn signals and some lengthening and shortening here and there. I got it all zip tied up, installed, and most everything hooked up.The dash is almost done; I do have a factory radio thats going to fill the hole, too. I might even get it fixed; I always listen to AM anyway. Either that or stash a unit in the glovebox. A few other things, too; pulleys are on, heat gauge hooked up, and started changing the forward harness for the Mopar connections.

Attached Files:

19. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Lots done today; I finally got the fuel line run and the fuel pump on. Now just need to run from the pump to the carb and that's done. I wanted to use a GM alternator since the harness was already wired for it so I flipped the alternator bracket upside down and put it on the othe side of the water pump. I had to cut and lengthen the adjuster bracket and build a support bracket for the back but it worked out good. I started putting the front clip back on just to see what I was going to need to do with the inner fenders. Both had to get sliced and diced a bit but I've got some new pieces tacked in place so I can pull it back apart, finish welding and paint them before it goes together for good.

Attached Files:

20. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Getting real close to firing this thing up. I finished all the engine wiring and fuel lines, put in an HEI distributor, plus finished the fender wells and got them and the fenders bolted on and adjusted. It was really nice out yesterday so I put the back wheels on and rolled it outside to see what the stance looks like. I used 2" blocks in the back and cut a coil in the front; I think it's about right where I want it. It was cool to be able to roll it out and clean the spot where it's been sitting for several months. It was a mess.

Attached Files:

21. Very nice - always look forward to that newly painted engine smell on first fire up.

22. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Oh, Yeah; cant wait to smell the hot Permatex.

23. GTSDave

GTSDave

Very nice work!

-Dave

24. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Wow, your car is badass!

25. Car is looking great. Wish I could make quick progress on mine like that...
    [​IMG]
    Haha, I have that same ding in the firewall on mine, to clear a 383, though. When the sectioning job is done, that whole tapered section of the firewall will be gone. End of problem.

26. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks, guys! Got a few more things bolted on today; spent most of the day on my 48.

Attached Files:

27. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

More stuff done; the grill and all the little panels behind it are bolted on, plug wires on, swapped to a Demon carb, accelerator cable and pedal done other than hooking it up to the carb, battery tray built and installed, and the radiator came in today. It looks like it's going to be a good fit; just need to build a mount for it.

Attached Files:

28. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

The good news is; it's running and sounds great. The bad news; it's pumping oil out the rear main seal like crazy.:CRY: I bought a Fel-Pro gasket kit from Summit and the seal that came with it did not look like the original one. I think the original was a rope seal and the replacement was a mechanical seal. I called Summit, they said it was right and checked with Fel-Pro and they insisted it was the retrofit seal. I went ahead and put it in even though it seemed like it was a little small in the groove. Im really aggrevated about this.:mad::mad: So now I guess the motor comes back out.

Attached Files:

29. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I just didnt feel like pulling that pan yesterday so I worked on other stuff. I got the grill and bumper back together and mounted my fuel and volt gauges. I had several 3/8" holes in the floor from the three differnt seats I had mounted when this floor was in the other car so I welded them up, hit all the edges with seam sealer, and gave it a final coat of paint. Finally I put it up on jack stands to pull the pan today. Back to work tomorrow; bummer.

Attached Files:

30. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

It's coming along . Keep up the progress.