The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcs64, Apr 16, 2011.
looks good man, cant wait to see more.
This thing is killer! Keep it up!
things are wrapping up quick now.
Not sure if I lost the top trim pc, or if I never had it. Just a tiney little pc about 2''s square that covers the trim joint. I decided to contact an ebayer that was parting out a '51....................
LOL, no way in hell would I pay that, so heres what I spent a couple hrs whipping up.
Heres the gap that needed covering.
Luckily its a chop top and I had saved the two pcs of garnish pcs that were 5"s long. A little trimming and fitting.......
ready for paint
huh?, I thought I had a better close up pic of it finished but I cant find it right now. I guess the idea is it blends in and isn't really noticeable , right ;-)
The interior is coming along pretty good right now so that should be the next update.
Jeff, I am enjoying your build very much, very creative and interesting
I have to ask, what are the vise grip lobster claws things on the welding table?
Necessity is the mother of invention!
I just had to do a quick scan through to get a little boost of momentum
heading out the garage now to work on the seats. Yesterday I spent the day tearing out the old foam and mouse nest, so today im hoping will show some sort of forward progress.
It looks like the mods also moved my thread to "where it belongs". Im guessing theres something that's just not right in there eyes since I got bumped to the traditional " styled" threads.
Ok, lots to do, gotta go!
sorry, just saw this question.
My father found them for me. They are some sort of "vice grips" attached to swiveling mounts. They are super helpful on the TIG bench when you could use an extra hand or two.
I tried everything I could think of to get the stink out of the old foam and then just decided to toss it all.
Like so many other things on this car, Ive never recovered seats so this will be fun.
here is what I started w/,front and rear seats out of a '51 ford. When I got the car it had some ugly velour seats ala crown vic, so while searching for stock replacements, the Ford seats were scored for a great price.
No wonder it stunk, 1/2 of those coils were little mouse condos at some point of time. A pressure washer made quick work of shredding the burlap so that I could toatally clean them out. A quick coat of POR 15 and the frames are now ready to be refoamed and then covered.
Not too bad! 1.5" of open cell foam for a base, then 2" of memory foam over that (its what I had laying around so free was the right price)
Never mind the egg crate foam, that was a failed experiment.
You are one very talented Dude. And also very creative.
Damn again, Jeff. The car is going to be incredible!
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments. Everyone always says they don't care what others think about their build but we all know it feels good when your hard work is recognized.
Damn dude thats awesome!
Almost there! It's looking great
Yes it is!!!!!!!!
and I cant wait to hit the roads for a little while until winter hits.
I got the bottom 1/2 of the front seat covered tonight too!
you can do everything ! amazing !
A couple more little details are now done.
The old window cranks had these super ugly plastic knobs on them that I just knew would never look good. The only way to fix them was to ditch the knobs and replace them w/ something better. A trip to Home depot and I found the PERFECT thing for my car.
And now the door panels are complete too.
Cool knobs! You're doing a great job on this build.
I love the fact you do everything on your own.
I do too, knowing what being cheap means
little by little, im starting to get things cleaned up underneath.
Brakes are all set to go w/ new lines, fuel lines have been rerouted, and new tail pipes were scrounged up from a neighbor. The new pipes were made necessary by the lowering blocks I made for the rear (1.75"), now there's plenty of clearance!
I still want to paint the bottom (maybe POR-15) , but for now I think the underside is done
not too happy w/ the fit of the carpet but I had an idea.
Back to Home depot for some car trim
Heres what I had to start w/. It wouldn't have been to bad, but the carpet didn't even cover the welded seam from the new floorboards.
this is the idea, extruded aluminum carpet edging. The only problem is I couldn't find it in a width I needed so a filler pc was made from stainless to help.
Just the stainless by itself looked pretty good.
then to cap it off w/ the carpet trim
Voila, instant sill plate!
Got the maiden voyage completed yesterday. Round trip 8 miles to get inspected and no major issues, except......
Ive now learned that they HAVE DIFFERENT PORT SIZED gaskets. Seams like I needed gaskets that would fit a '94 dodge ram. I don't know why, but the late model gaskets look like they should do the trick. I got them swapped out yesterday so we will try it out today.
PS, exhaust leaks sound terrible!!!!
Looking good! Where did you get the armrests from? They look great and I'm still looking around for a good pair for my project.
Armrests are the stock pcs.
See post #118 for the detail pics
Found it, thanks!
I have a 51 I see some changes in her future good job will enjoy following this thread
Nine pages of pure talent, keep up the GREAT job!
Amazing! Just found (& subscribed to) this thread. I think you may be my new hero
Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
Your work is outstanding, and you should be very proud of what you have accomplished.
Yep...you are amazing and truly talented. I'm subscribed...
And my parents said I would never amount to anything!
thanks guys, glad your loving it.
Ive been busy working out some bugs the last couple days.
still exhaust leaks, funky shift points w/ the Chrysler tranny, and almost had to break out a window when a fuse blew on the remote entry (I know iknow, I should have a emergency cable).
Separate names with a comma.