Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51 plymouth my build thread a little late!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Oct 5, 2010.

1. n847

n847

You guys make me sick...70 in december...LOL I drove mine in early December last year and had to leave the windows down due to the fumes. It was 40 degrees out and I was in no danger of falling asleep!

2. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Awesome built. Gives me hope with my 50 plymouth

3. I got the carb done this weekend and almost got it fired. I took some new/same pics ill post tonight.

4. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

I'm a old skool chopped top lover. Your chop really set the rest of the car off. Eye catching but suttle. The 50 Desoto rear glass and sheetmetal was what made everything blend together.Was this a well thought out route you planned or was it a drive by the seat of your pants, "Let's see how this looks" Great job. Too bad you can't patent it. Keep up the great job!!! Too bad you didn't go with Mopar power. Hay, that can always come later when you get the gal all together.

5. the top was done as a somewhat i will collect as many roofs as i can and let the chips fall. and to be honest my buddy that cut the top has an amazing eye for flow. plus the car being a hardtop really helped.

as far as the should have kept it mopar statement. I am pretty fucking sick of it. i am 36 and have been working on this car since i was 29. all the while buying a house losing a house getting married and having two sons and repairing my credit and buying another house.i am actively looking for another frame and i will buy one and build another frame with a flat six.but at the time that was not an option.I am not trying to be rude but wtf man?

6. here are the most recent pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BadLuck

BadLuck

Awwwwwesome buddy!

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Lookin' great. Keep the camel-hump'd SBC. There's a reason those things became THE engine to have back in the day. And your reasons are right there, they're cheap, they make good power, they're reliable, you can get parts on any corner, and they're available. Belly button? Maybe, but we'd all look pretty wierd without that little hole in our tummies wouldn't we?

Keep going!

9. teddyp

teddyp

glad you ;put the sbc for power good choice

10. Thanks guys. The car drove really nice with the old sbc. This one should be bad ass!

11. Lpdesignz

Lpdesignz
    from Sin city

Love this ride!! Always saw pix on google images that gave me inspiration for my 51 Plymouth.. It's chopped, bagged and lays frame now.. I'm still running the flat six but everyone keeps telling me to update it.. I might down the road but for now I'll just cruise it at 55mph maxed out haha..

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good Glen!

13. Thanks! If the weather ever gets back to a decent temp. I will be back on it.

14. the balls

the balls

im building a 51 cranbrook and just picked up a sbc 400 with a turbo 350 and was wondering if you ran into any big problems and what drive shaft did you use
    awesome build by the way im in full swing after seeing your build

15. The steering box is the main issue. My motor is offset to the passenger side 1 inch. If you need i can send you some better pics.

16. sololobo

sololobo

Luv it man. I looked at a 50 Dodge tu-door hardtop with a slant six put init. It was pretty sweet, but as usual, broke as a joke! Nice ol car for 3,500.00 and might have paid less flashin cash. Oh Well. Your car is bitchin and love the 51 Plymouth grille, one of the coolest of all times. Rock on brother! ~sololobo~

17. the balls

the balls

that would be awesome if you could thank you

18. the balls

the balls

what drive shaft are you using

19. I had the driveshaft made. You just give the shop the measurement and tell them what rear and what transfer you have a day later its done.

20. the balls

the balls

thanks again i should be all set for when my motor mounts get here

21. Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  22. well we got the garage cleaned up today. so tomorrow i will get the car on jack stands and start getting the trans stuff taken care of.

23. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

Great work. I have a 50 Ply sd coupe and want to sbc it. What year cherokee axle will swap out, mine is a 60 inch, i think they;re the same width. what did u do for engine and trans mounts, and did u have an issue with the exhaust and steering box? One last question please, how did u do your driveshaft. Thanks Stan in Pa.

24. its a box cherokee and you have to weld new mounts on. i bought the plydo kit for the motor swap. yes clearance is an issue and almost every decent sized town has somebody that can build you a driveline.

25. tragic59

tragic59

Stoked on it running.

Get the tranny installed today?

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good show Glen! Big milestone.

27. No i hung out with the family. Made home made Chilli. And i am the only person that liked it... Pretty awesome.

28. Thanks man. As soon as we made tahht video the water pump capped out. So now I need to go and buy a new one.