Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Nash Statesman engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mzweig, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Is the Statesman the model that had the seats that would fold down to make a bed? Remember Nash having that feature on some cars in the early '50s. Pretty sure that Nash was the first make to offer reclining seats.

2. mzweig

mzweig

Yes, all Nash Statesman 2-doors had the folding seats. Optional on 4-doors. Mine has them. Dads with daughters didn't like boys who drove these cars back in the day!

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. mzweig

mzweig

Here's another look at the car. Pic taken a while back. Is now on a rack getting prepped for new front and back ends.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. So what part of this build qualifies as "traditional", other than the body?

5. k9racer

k9racer

I know it is to late but a 215 olds would be great. A lot easer to find because the same engine in british rovers.Sounds like you will have a very road worth car.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Whiniineng when it comes time to change the plugs in it if you stick a small block Chevy in it. It will be as tight as the 64/65 Novas with V8 engines and those are a royal pain in the ass to change plugs on. Actually a 304 (or one of that family of engines) AMC engine might be a better fit.

6-bangertim likes this.
  7. U-235

U-235

"If the OP starts showing detailed pics of IFS etc, then the mods might get upset."

Are you kidding me......? These posts contain 1000's of IFS done to everything from shoeboxes to 49 Plymouths....and everything else.

8. iadr

iadr

Still think a rather ...confrontational...poster, who is paying someone else to cut up a nice vintage car... is not what this forum is about. Just my opinion.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  9. mzweig

mzweig

Small block Chevy? That's a good question! The project has morphed......

10. mzweig

mzweig

A 215 Olds would be interesting but really wouldn't have half the umph of this 383. I put one in my '35 Ford pickup that I regretfully sold after yrs of daily use and I really liked the way it performed. Plus options for exhaust manifolds/headers, pulley systems, etc., are virtually limitless.

11. mzweig

mzweig

I'm confused. Who is confrontational? This is a hot rod board. Using the crossmember is a lot less destructive than the subframe would have been. And this is a hot rod board. I would rather start with a "nice" car than junk. Solves a lot of problems. I want a nice car when I am done that will look completely stock (other than slightly lower ride height). This car had been for sale for yrs before I bought it three or four years ago. Anyone else could have bought it and done what they wanted with it. Not to mention that trying to drive an 85-horse flathead with a balky 3 spd and 4.44 gears just isn't fun.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Right On Mang, Get that bitch on the road. Show us some pictures of the swap.

mzweig likes this.
  13. southerncad

southerncad

Yup get er' done, and then show us some pics of a smokey burn out:D

kiwijeff and mzweig like this.
  14. I actually put a Gremiln 6 and 3 speed in a '54 F-100 once and liked it real well. same sort of a deal the motor and tranny were there and no cost involved.

In a nashtub I probably would not waste my time building a hot rod motor and any v8 you put in there is going to interfere with your steering so I would think that an inline would be the way to go. I am not sure how much room you got lengthwise but if it were me and I was going to throw money at it I would think about a 300" Ford or a 292 " chevy for inline motorvation. Just a thought.

15. 41 C28

41 C28

Looking forward to seeing this on completed. I like it.

mzweig likes this.
  16. Keep on keepin' on, looks like a fun project. I'm subscribed.

mzweig likes this.
  17. No one was talking about you, just keep moveing forward, and see where you land.

We took everything applicable out of a wrecked Fox Body in the early part of the century and shoved it in a baby nash and it was wall to wall motor. It was a hoot to drive but it was a PITA to work on.

mzweig likes this.
  18. mzweig

mzweig

I have a mildly customized '60 Rambler American wagon and also a stock '60 Rambler 2-door sedan. I can see that would be a fun swap. Lightweight, great handling cars.

19. LOL we did it to one of these. :D

[​IMG]

mzweig likes this.
  20. mzweig

mzweig

Better yet! Here are my other two..... IMG_20160305_183802.jpg IMG_20151122_111515.jpg IMG_20160305_183802.jpg IMG_20151122_111515.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. There was 1960 Rambler floating around the classifieds a while back with an SBC and the works, looked like a very stout build.

mzweig likes this.
  22. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

That light green one looks to be a dead-ringer for the one Goober Pyle took apart and put it in the court house, then reassembled it!

mzweig likes this.
  23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I want to stick a 304/360/390/401 into this.Its so ugly its Kool. DSC03130.JPG

mzweig likes this.
  24. tevintage

tevintage

Hi Mzweig:
    Thanks for sharing your fine looking Statesmen with us. Truly an iconic style. It looks in great shape. Keep us in the loop on the engine swap. It will be nice to have a little more umph! TEB

mzweig likes this.
  25. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I have a 50 nash statesman with 80 Malibu wagon chassis under it. I am running a 455 Pontiac motor and turbo 400 with a 10 bolt rear end. Built the car 16 years ago and averages 16-17 mpg. Drives and handles great.

mzweig and bobss396 like this.
  26. mzweig

mzweig

Wanted to give an update on the Nash. 4-link set up with 12 1/2" coilovers is in the car. We used a 9" Ford out of a Lincoln with 31 spline axles, disc brakes, and posi third member. The steering column was cut off and now supported by a new bearing and carrier. Will take multiple U-joints to connect it all when the Chev motor is in place. Not a lot of room imagejpeg_1(3).jpg . Steering/suspension /engine mounts coming together now in a new crossmember kit from Johnny Law Motors that has to be assembled and fitted very carefully.

27. mzweig

mzweig

I bought a 420 horse 383 stroker w/alum heads in a box from Speedway for $3799. You just cannot imagejpeg_3(1).jpg beat that. I have rebuilt TH350 w/a shift kit for it, too. imagejpeg_3(1).jpg

28. mzweig

mzweig

Show us a pic or two some time!

29. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

This was taken a few years ago but still looks the same.

Attached Files:

mzweig likes this.
  30. mzweig

mzweig

Here are a few more pics. Pls don't hammer me on nuts that aren't fully tightened or not having washers where reqd. This is just getting all the fabrication done... imagejpeg_2(3).jpg