Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Mercury flathead....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chopped 46 Ford, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Chopped 46 Ford

Chopped 46 Ford

Going to get my 51 Merc flattie running again. Going to convert everything over to 12v. and change all the fluids. It was running a short time ago, no smoke and sounded great. I was wondering if anybody could throw out some helpful part numbers to get me going a little quicker.
    Need.....Power gen alternator, distributor, coil and wires. Also what type/brand/weight oil, would be best. Its an original motor never been cracked open. Any anitfreeze better than another?
    Any info on keeping the old beast running and swapping to modern electrical will be greatly appreciated.

2. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

Got a Powergen on my avatar, works great so far. 15-40 Rotella shell oil has been fine in the engine. I'm running the stock loadamatic distributor as well with Autolite 216 plugs. Hope this helps

3. PervertedbyDubs

PervertedbyDubs

Kendall makes a flat tappet motor oil called "Titanium" you can get in a variety of weights. We use 20-50 in our flathead. Saves wiping out the cam lobes.

I hate Fords so I went out and got me a Merc..

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

rotella oil doesnt have enough zddp any more for flat tappet engine from what i've read...

5. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

6. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Lucas make a good 20/50 hi zinc I run it in my Flat motor it runs good

7. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Contact GMC BUBBA here on the HAMB for a mechanical advance Flathead distributor and 12V Andover coil.

8. Chopped 46 Ford

Chopped 46 Ford

Thanks.
    From what I've seen the zinc is the important part in the oil. So I'll make sure of that when i change it.
    Already have a distributor and coil from Bubba on the way. Super nice folks there. Answered a million questions.
    Anybody have any thoughts on coolant???

9. PervertedbyDubs

PervertedbyDubs

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381265590.410289.jpg

This is the best stuff, IMHO..

I hate Fords so I went out and got me a Merc..

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

First thing to do is clean your system.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313771&highlight=coolant

A good exchange on what is the best combination for coolants.
    This is all good info here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273117&highlight=coolant

11. if it don't freeze where you're at just use water and water wetter..........

12. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

the only problem with that kind of oil is, from what the manufacturer told me, is that it is designed to thin out fast so that the high reving race engines can run with less friction...

i used 15-40 delco diesel oil. it stays thick and keeps good pil pressure even after running for an hour or more. typical flatheads are low pressure so a good thick diesel oil really helps keep the loose tolerance bearings alive

13. prpmmp

prpmmp