Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Mercury Fender Skirt Question (With Pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheFrenZ, May 9, 2008.

1. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

This one goes to all Merc guys.Finally found some '51 Merc steel skirts.I just wanna know if this is the usual mounting hardware ? My '49/'50 Mercury fender skirts have different mounting hardware,way easier to get them on.The mounts in the lower corners really suck...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks !

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Tom,

These look different than the set I had. I have to dig through my pics folders for more pics and pics of the other set I had, but the swinging arm looks different. This also may be a Foxcraft/original difference or even 2 door to 4 door skirt difference. Hope these pics help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mikes51

mikes51

yours look different than mine also. My 51 skirts have a lever that swings out like UnIOnViLLEHauNT 's pics. It's a simple lever, that ends up pulling in the top of the skirt tight to the quarter panel with just the tip of a single rod. The corner rods on mine are made from thicker looking rods.

4. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Thanks Chris and Mike ! Yes,those skirts probably are Foxcraft aftermarket stuff.I prefer that shape over the stock Merc skirts.I also have a set of Big Jims fibreglass skirts and their shape is identical to the skirts both of you have.

The center mount is fine,I'm just talking about the corner rods.The ones on my '49 skirts are thicker too,simply looks like factory stuff and mounting is easy.The corner rods on the '51 skirts basically need to be removed to get the skirts on.I had that shit before with the Big Jim skirts.Guess I need another set of stock corner rods....

5. mikes51

mikes51

I also have a second set of fiberglass 51 skirts. The corner rods on the glass skirts look alot like the ones you have. I remember I could push hard on those long skinny rods, bending them back, and force the skirt onto the car. Then when I let go the corner rods would spring back into their original shape and hold the skirt kinda tight on the bottom corners.

Also, that inside lip formed around the perimeter of your skirt looks alot wider than the stock ones.

6. old beet

old beet

Different than mine. Mine have more of a loop on the ends and a single rod that holds the top. I know mine are factory!.........OLDBEET

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the basic idea with how they mount. There are some small diffrences, but that's pretty much it.

Also, they tend to distort your quarter panel a small amount when attached, just because of how they attach.

To get around that on mine, I ditched all the mounting hardware and made my own.

Gimme a minute, I'll get a pic...

-Abone.

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a PROTOTYPE of this deal, so don't talk shit on the hokey craftsmanship. I was just trying to make sure the idea worked.

Basicly, the little hook looking things poke into the fenderlip. (the lip is slightly re-inforced with 1/8 strap) Then, the tabs at the bottom bolt to the underside of the quarter panel with a speed nut on the back side.

When the skirt is mounted, you can't see any of the tab or teh fastener, but I can still get it off if I have a flat tire. Plus, it puts no stress on the quarter panel which would make the quarter look wavy.

[​IMG]

Good luck, -Abone.

9. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Mike,I know what you mean and may get back to you on this soon by PM. I will have a couple more questions for sure.

Beet,I wish I would have your skirts.They fit perfectly...

[​IMG]

Abone,I hear you.Good idea,really like it,thanks for sharing.Just ordered a set on your website and one of those cool grille bars too ! Please make sure to post more progress pics.Very cool stuff,very cool Merc.

Btw,can anybody post a backside pic of factory '51 skirt ? Mike,Beet ?

10. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

This is how original '51 skirts mount:):D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Thank you !

Any chance to post some detail/close-up shots of the corner rods ? Would be greatly appreciated ! Man,your skirts even match my body color....did I ever tell you your '51 looks sooo much better without skirts ?!! Just send them my way !

[​IMG]

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's what the 1949-51 Mercury Chasis Parts Catalog shows on page 378. Only thing missing is the rectangular "wire box" at the top center of the skirt. Must have been a redesign.

Attached Files:

13. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

If you are talking about part number (7328006) above the skirt, that is not part of the skirt but a 'U' shaped piece of sheet metal that slips over the edge of the fender to stiffen it where the center clamp goes.
    Otherwise the skirts are identical.:):D

14. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Here's a few closeup pic's. The skirts are no longer on the car which now sports "Flushed Skirts":):D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

19Fordy and 51 MERC CT,thanks MUCH for posting those pics, I really appreciate it ! They are of great help.

Btw,51 MERC CT, sent a PM your way,thanks.

16. mercsforever

mercsforever

You just can't believe everything that you read in a catalog but there are some good pictures. It has been my experience on all 5 pairs of '51 Merc skirts that I have owned that there is a number something like this 50A227. '50 being the year they were actually stamped. A being for the month they were stamped, January 227 being for the left (drivers side) 228 being for the (passenger side) Example; 50K228 stamped in '50 K for November. There is also 2 H's stamped. They are kind of "stacked", using 1 common line for the inside of the top H and the outside of the bottom H. These numbers are found on the center bracket on REAL skirts. The center bracket also houses the center hold down rod, meaning that if you can see the center hold down rod in it's entirety, one of two things is going on, the center bracket is missing which is highly unlikely or they are aftermarket skirts. Would be very likely that you might find a different year marking besides 50 on the bracket. Everyone that had a '49 or '50 Merc wanted the '51 skirts and FoMoCo used to actually make replacement parts for a few years after a model run. If people had the dough they could buy the skirts from a dealer. The 227 and 228 and the "stacked" H's will be the same. No, I don't know what those H's mean. PM for pictures.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  17. What I can never understand is that people come on Forums to give and receive info.

So why is it that there are some who want others to PM them to get photos we could all enjoy.

Me?

I would just go ahead and post them here.:eek:

18. mercsforever

mercsforever

It's The American way. :cool:

19. Lono

Lono

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: