Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Merc vehicle ID #HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Feb 20, 2018.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

quick question for ID # on my title, 51SL59246M, is this a Mercury flathead #, believe all the old cars used engine # fir ID (xample my 51 buick uses engine #) not body #. Can someone verify this for me, now have overseas buyer and engine has been changed to Chevy Crate. Thank You for help

2. Why not Call the Mad Greek he is in Wi. & he deal's in 49-51 Mercury's
    To tell you That I think that Merc.'s use # that are Mounted on the
    the Sheet metal when you Open the Hood, its either on the Right
    or Left.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

wicarnut likes this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Phone # for Mad Greek? on right side firewall is plate with body style letters numbers with body ID # second line

4. squirrel

squirrel

1951 built in St Louis, 59246 is the car serial number, and it's a Mercury. That number should be on the data plate on the right hand hinge pillar. If it's not there, then you'll have fun!

Some states used the engine number for vehicle registration, but there was also a body and or frame number on most cars. Every manufacturer had their own system, and they changed them frequently, to keep us guessing. Every state had their own system of title/registration, and they change them frequently to keep us guessing.

wicarnut likes this.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks Jim ! and a50merc, confusion cleared, found all of tag, painted over, numbers match, Mercury is going to the Netherlands, Update, deal fell apart, my first and LAST attempt to sell a car offshore.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018