Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51' merc questions...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Low-n-Rusty, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

So I'm looking to step up from my '39 ford rat... and i found this...

merc 51 small.jpg '51 merc custom...

Interesting front grill, haven't seen anything like it...

But... wait for it... it has no doors? What the heck... any thoughts?

What kind of things should I look for. It does have a v8 flat head with three deuces and seems to run very nice....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. Squablow

Squablow

I assume it's a 4 door sedan with the roof hacked off and they filled in the doors. I wouldn't doubt they did this because after the roof came off, the doors wouldn't open or close properly because they didn't reinforce the body properly beforehand. Could never even put a Carson style top on it with this setup, it'll be hard enough as-is to crawl in and out.

Grille looks like a '55/'56 Plymouth bar with the center missing and the outer pieces cut off. Fits poorly, I can see the open end of the bar in the pic.

Damn shame what was done to this car, would be near impossible to make this into something worthwhile. A good running Merc flathead is worth something I guess.

cretin likes this.
  3. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

oh, that is disappointing... read a thread where it discussed reinforcing the body ... started suspecting the above myself... thought of opening it up from the inside to see what had been done to it. Guess I could check the vin maybe? agreed on the fit of the grill bar... looked like it could be finished in...

4. Slopok

Slopok

Looks to me as if you're goin from a 39 Rat to a 51!:rolleyes:

cretin and Surfcityrocker like this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

What parts are fiberglass? Windshield chop is excessive and makes it look out of proportion.
    No functioning doors or top are big negatives. plus the hood doesn't help it.
    What are those chrome bumps on the trunk?
    Someone put a lot of effort into ruining a Merc.

cretin likes this.
  6. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

Here's a closer of the front... looks like spot on about the plymouth... and yes, it's kinda pieced together... I actually liked the style, just not the implementation... headlights are siliconed in to.
    51 front.jpg

7. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

Here's the rear.... trunk fits unevenly... I'm starting to doubt now :(

rear.jpg

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you're looking to buy a real 51 Merc convertible Google:
    1951 mercurycraigslist.org

9. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

My next step was to check each panel and determine what was fiberglass and what isn't.... attached a picture showing the hinges...

10. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

I would of liked to but I don't think I should jump into this one... the opportunity was trading two bikes for it... '05 harley road king and a '07 bmw GS1200...

11. It's a Ply grill bar. If mine, I would fill the hood and lose the lake pipes. Replace the grill bar with teeth. French the headlights then look toward a Carson Top. Round it out with twin Baby Lorraine's. I'd also take it back to opening doors with remote actuators. At 56 years old, the last thing I would want to do is to try and crawl in it like some youngin' !"

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I like the grill bar, but no doors, f-ed up hood, and whatever is wrong with the trunk lid fit would keep me from buying this one unless it's going cheap.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

carolinakid likes this.
  13. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

I'm definitely concerned the body is flexing... so would need to reinforce somehow ? and agree, at 59 I'm not thrilled with hopping over the door myself.... so electric doors, chevy teeth, fix the trunk, and fill in the hood...

14. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

call me newbie but still trying to figure out what twin baby lorrains are... heck when I started this I had never heard of a carson top... with the help of this forum I'm a little more educated, emphasis on little :) Appreciate all the opinons, observations and help. Thanks !!

wait... spotlights? no way....lol..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  15. Slopok

Slopok

The 100th anniversary Harley by itself is worth more than that bungled up Merc, don't do it.

clunker and Rat39 like this.
  16. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

18k?

17. Slopok

Slopok

That's what they want for the Merc??? Watch how long it takes to sell and for what it really sells for if it ever even sells. When they look bad in a picture they are much worse in person! I repeat, don't do it.

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'm with 19Fordy. My first thought was that the entire car was fiberglass. Starting with an old Gene Winfield/Pete & Jake coupe.

The squarish front rolled pan and flared front fenders look like the fiberglass cars. Plus that warped tulip panel looks like unsupported (roof lopped off) fiberglass, along with the external hinges that are a tell tale there's no inner structure.
    Here's a P&J bodied Merc:

[​IMG]

wicarnut and Squablow like this.
  19. It's a piece of shit and this place isn't for rats. Yes, it's in the rules.
    Blunt, but honest.

20. Looks like a real hack job IMHO

21. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

DO NOT Make that trade.

22. leon bee

leon bee

I missed this earlier, that's one ugly sumbitch right there.

choppednslammed likes this.
  23. I would not touch this with a stick.
    Even if it's cheap, I bet my Merc and my house that this was cobbled together in a way that would cost you a ton of time and money to make something decent out of it.

On the other hand if the 39 Ford you mentioned is the one in your avatar, even this merc would be clearly an upgrade.

24. where would you park it if it's 51 feet long?

*the apostrophe goes before ( '51) to denote the removal of the 19....not after the 51

rodncustomdreams and X38 like this.
  25. cretin

cretin

Had a customer car where they engraved the year and owners last name on the valve cover, but put the apostrophe in the wrong spot. Still call the car "40 foot Beers".

26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Don't even think about swapping for or buying that Merc.
    You will regret it as the cost of "saving it" will put you in the poor house.
    Look elsewhere.

27. Squablow

Squablow

After seeing that picture and the picture of the rear of the car, I think Hot Rods Ta Hell is on to something, it's very possibly a fiberglass body with the roof cut off, which makes sense why they had to fill the doors and also the poor fitting trunk. Once the roof was cut off, all of the structural strength of the body was lost and there was no way the doors would ever open and close anymore. Although if that's true, it's surprising that it would have a flathead in it.

Either way, I don't see a whole lot of value in this car. If you liked it as-is, basically a big impractical toy with very little possibility of ever being a legit fully functional custom car, I guess it's OK if it was dirt cheap. Might make a cool rolling advertisement for some kind of business or something like that, or the parts have some value.

But if the $18,000 number is really the asking price? Not a chance. Maybe a third of that, and then only to the right buyer.

28. Your are Crazy if You Pay 18K for that Thing !
    its probably

worth the Going rate of Scrap Metal!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

29. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

Thanks for all the constructive and not so constructive advice... :)

it is a '51 running frame , motor, trans, etc. Hydraulics added. Complete fiberglass body. Nice interior but it is a fiberglass body.

My hopes and dreams...dashed on the barren shore... exiled to leprosy rat rod island :confused:

clunker likes this.