Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Merc on G.M. Frame ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Some years ago there was an article in a car magazine (Rod & Custom ?) that showed how to put a '51 Merc body on a later model G.M. chassis. Does anybody remember that and possibly know what year and month of the magazine ?

Thanks in advance !!

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I remember that, it was Dick Dean that did it.Seems like it was floor - firewall - chassis from a early 80's full size 4 door. Try calling him?

3. PM Lefturn. He's done a few of them. 77-84 Olds sedans for the frame and floor.......

4. primerden

primerden

It was the December 1984 issue of Street Rodder. Dick Dean did do it and used a 1972 Pontiac LeMans 4 door frame. If you have a FAX number I can FAX you the article on Monday. Good luck.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Just be aware that in a later issue, they told you that they forgot to tell you that you have to stretch the frame to fit the Merc!
    I believe a 72 Gran Prix has the correct wheel base.

6. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The Tex Smith book on building custom cars has a chapter about putting putting a Merc on a GM frame. You should be able to find a copy at your local chain book store.

7. ratster

ratster

I used a 79 olds 88, it has 119" wheel base. No cutting the frame at all. I also used the floor pan from the same old's. I put it under a 50 merc 4 dr.

8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I got into that article/idea as well, read Tex Smit's book, and was set to do it until I decided to keep mine all Ford and try to have FI. I used a newer Ford instead (1987 Lincoln).

Check out my site if you're still interrested.

It's a lot of work.

http://landyachts.homestead.com/index.html

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    Check out my site if you're still interrested.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's too cool! I'm diggin the Lincoln-Merc frame swap - last update was in March, where you at on it now?

[​IMG]

10. ok I have done 7 merc swaps. use a78-84 olds regency 98 or buick park ave. wheel base is perfect. check my website fore picture on how to do it.
    email me with questions

11. imho Why? If you want to drive an 80's/90's Gm don't hack up a 51 merc...

12. i'm not goin there....

13. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I have been picking away at fabbing up new rear-wheelhouses...when time allows. I do most of my work in the winter months, when there isn't so much to do around the house/yard...

I updated the site last night, as a matter of fact, but still have more to do.

Go here: http://landyachts.homestead.com/mercresto5.html

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I should add, for the poeple who hate these chassis swap posts...that the underbody of my Merc was quite rough. It wasn't worth saving and restoring to stock, the rockers were almost non-existant, the body had lost it's rigidity, the quarters are toast (both inner and outer) and there are MANY other candidates out there from dry states that I would agree shouldn't be "cut up". I wouldn't have otherwise had the heart to cut up the car, but because it has been in Michigan all of it's 53 years, and sat around undriven in various places for the last 30 years, the undercarrige/sheetmetal was less than desireable to work with given my time/abilities/$$$...

I did, however, as a compromise for this, try and seek out a chassis that wasn't a GM.

But it seems in the end I'm building it for me, and that's all that matters, to me. I've created my own "kit car" of sorts...I don't fit well into any particular group. It's not traditional if you look under the skin. It's not "old" if you do. If you're a Mercury purist, you loath me. If you don't know anything about cars, I'm the a-hole driving something ancient that's polluting the environment. It's probably a matter of time before Ryan kicks me off despite having a 1951 Mercury... -body-... where's that orphan car show? I got a 1951-87 Lincery [​IMG]

tommy1969 likes this.
  15. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I have a 1950 Merc coupe on a 1978 Olds Delta 88 frame and floor.I had to stretch the Olds frame and pan 2 inches to match the Mercurys 118 inch wheel base.

16. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

That's why I chose the '87 Lincoln T/C frame. The 1980-1997 Lincoln T/C's all have a 117.9 inch frame, except the newer "special purpose" chassis that have 4" added to the rear doors. I believe they use the 121" wheel base. I wanted to avoid stretching the frame on mine, and find one that was affordable. $450 bucks isn't much to spend on a reliable, driving, 115,000 mile doner chassis. At least here in Michigan. If the car body wasn't so F**ked up, it would have been worth $1500 easy.

Oh, and you might want to do an intro, mazdaslam, tell us about yourself, your cars, lifestyle, etc...before you get slammed... just a heads up. [​IMG]

17. Thank you to all that replied. I'll pass this along to my neighbor who is considering doing this..... [​IMG]

SJ

18. InPrimer

InPrimer

MercMan outstanding job !! takes a lot of brass to do what you did, please show final result when you are done.