Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Merc Kid

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Bigbopper51, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Evening Fellas, Want to start off saying Hi to my Family!! thats all of you who have, built, bought, and drive oldies. I was born in 83 and in 85 my dad saw a guy sitting in his 51 merc in a parking lot in walled lake mi. My dad asked the guy, say man,... you wanna sell that car. The man replied, as a matter of fact, what would you give me for it. My dad offered him $1500. He said SOLD. It was a RUNNING 51 merc that had a crushed passenger fender. So My mom went to bank and guy signed the title and to the house they came. 9 months later the car was chopped done and a summer time driver. My dads friend had a buddy looking for " a merc" and they all got together and the guy offerd my dad 10k and bye bye merc :confused: . As a little boy, My dad could not start that car without my crying wanting to go with him. Most of the time, his ass was caught so he just had to take me.. I always hung out in the garage and helped. For years and years I thought , boy Ill never see that car again. So iI went a got the Car tattooed on my forearm.So i wanted to build one just like it since I was about 15 or so. With life and the economy its just so hard coming from a lower income lifestyle. My dad built that car with buddys that had buddys and knew how to do the work in the garage with a case of beer. I dont have the friends my dad had/has to do what my dad did. So here I am 28 years old, Just started my career working for ups with hopes this year of getting full time. My fiancee' called me one day and said, honey, I have a phone number for the 51 if you want to call it when you get home. So I RUSHED HOME and heisitated for about 30 mins trying to figure out how to ask this random guy , who dont know me, if he had this 51 merc. So i called, and he remembered me as a baby and ask ME if i would like to see it.. I, as a grown man, started tearing up and eventually cryin.. So i got in my ride and plugged his address in, and well he is only 35 mins away!!!So I get there and he had the garage open and sure enough.. THERE SHE SITS.. LIKE THAT DAY MY DAD SOLD IT. So we get to talking , 4-5 hours. I asked the question...........would you consider selling it..... He said... YES. only to me. Im in heaven But its hard, having a part time job and not perfect credit, its not looking good. I have some money Im going to offer him to " Hold it" but I dont know how he would take that considering he wants 35k. Thats my story and Im glad to be here.:)

2. Great story. Great intro. 51 Mercs are gay.

3. I know right!!!!:eek::eek::D:D

4. I put some pictures up of the car and my life with the car!! Im in heaven!!!

5. Good luck getting your dream car.
    I feel blessed in a way as I have owned 3 Mercs over my lifetime.

6. Thanks man. I work 3 jobs and still is slow getting xtra money!!

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy.

8. 60chev

60chev
    from Australia

welcome bro go the mercury good on you i to own my dream car 50 mercury

9. farmer12

farmer12

Great intro, welcome from the Netherlands!

10. welcome man ad go get it. You will never regret it. If the man has kept the car that long and will only sell it to you, then he will not mind waiting. Good luck in your quest

11. Thanks farmer and John..

12. ya'll are awesome

13. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I love this story visit it often, keep the guy posted on how much you are saving for it! Don't let it go what ever you do!

14. Oh I talk to him and he knows, just wish I could get some sponsors or help because my dad is still alive but he is 71 and has heart problems. Time is running out!!

15. Welcome! Hope it works out for you. Wish I could find my dad's '51 Merc from '59....but it's long gone....had to buy my own. ;)

16. robleticia

robleticia

Kick ass intro! Welcome to the HAMB from Texas!

17. Hey fellas thank u a lot!!!!

18. 60 ford

60 ford

19. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Welcome to the HAMB. Lots of great guys and great tech on this forum. Good Luck with your plan to score that Merc!

20. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Hope ya get it!!! Welcome....

21. I have wanted one for over 20 years, got mine in 2008... I drive it uncompleted as often as I can.... GOOD luck!

22. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Howdy from Spokane, fun story. Hope you can get your Pop's old '51 Merc., but if it don't pan out, you can always try to score one cheaper than 35K that you could build yourself, that's what your Dad did,... and I'll just bet you can do it too!!...Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Welcome !! I hope you get it !!!!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  24. I might try to go see it soon !! Just thinking about when I get it , the happiness I'll see in my dad when I throw him the keys and say" where we going dad"!!

25. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Welcome from Los Angeles CA

26. I'll be drooling this weekend!! Headed to take some money to the owner and more pics!!!

27. low merc51

low merc51

WELCOME !!!!I have found that guy's like us can always find money for cars and lawyers !!!!
    Go get that MERC we only get to do this thing called life one time then its over !!!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  28. Anyone wanna donate, I willing to accept donations to help reach my dream!! Any shops willing to sponsor ??