Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Merc Door Hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercMan1951, Sep 1, 2003.

1. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I'm tryin to remove the doors on my '51 Merc...the idiot engineers at the time used phillips-head bolts on both the door side and the hinge post side. I got a couple busted loose with PB Blaster penetrating oil and a #3 phillips bit mounted to a socket wrench, but I still have a few to remove and am beginning to strip the threads...any ideas??

Thanks!

2. DrJ

DrJ

You're not using an impact driver?

I sure would....

3. old beet

old beet

I drill um out, retap, then use new Allen head bolts....OLDBEET

4. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Don't forget, those Phillips heads have nuts on the back. If they're spinnin' they may not be stripped, it may be that the nuts are turning.

5. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

My impact ain't working, I was trying to avoid buying a new one...It's the phillips head that is actually beginning to strip out (I should have made that more clear). I even tried "Screw Grab" a kind of liquid graphite compound designed for stripped out bolt heads, but that wasn't working so well either.

I was trying to avoid drilling and re-tapping, but it looks like that may be my only alternative.

The torch would be too messy.

Anybody with a Merc ever ditch the factory hinges and go for aftermarkets? Stock ones don't seem to offer much in the way of adjustment.

Thanks for all of your input!

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Drill just the head off to release the hinge. After the hinge is off, remove the remaining screw with Vicegrips. Or, weld a nut on the remaining screw, and take it out with a wrench.

7. old trick...use valve grinding compond on the philips tip BEFORE it is striped too badly. it locks the tip into the screw...worked for me

CT.

8. i drill the heads off too. or drill the whole this and retap.
    i"ve also drilled and put new nuts behind with allen screws.
    works great

9. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Here's an update for you guys...ended up going to Sears...bought a #4 (I was using a #3) phillips bit in a 3/8 socket...bought a 1/2 inch to 3/8 adaptor...found said impact wrench...discovered impact wrench still worked...removed 16 bolts and removed doors. Hopefully with a little luck, the Merc body will be on the Lincoln chassis next weekend (weather permitting)... [​IMG]

Thanx Guys...