Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Merc Chop by Matthewsgarage

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jan 26, 2014.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here's some pics of an in progress chop that Sonny and Tom Matthew are doing on their 51 Mercury. They decided to tackle the challenge and go with the stock 51 rear glass that everyone usually swaps out for a 49-50. I think it's turning out real nice. Rear quarter windows extended slightly too.
    They are looking for someone repopping the rear glass for this.
    Some in progress shots

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390785611.209833.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390785628.820936.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390785639.542534.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390785653.784157.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390785665.431770.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390785677.165850.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. ebfabman

ebfabman

Very nice! I like the 51 back glass. How much did they lower the lid?

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Looks pretty good. 51's take a little bit of finesse...

4. Refreshing to see a 51 window being used on a 51 mercury. Glad to see it,looks good.

5. the violator

the violator

if these guys are chopping a merc you can bet it will be done right , they have done a bunch of them !!!

6. I really like the looks of that chop. I love a 51 rear window in a 51. I like that the window was not slid forward a bunch like a lot of them are and I like the side windows left long, too. Great job!!

7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I like the 51 glass as well, nice work!

8. Not everyone but there are some that do. :D

9. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

These guys certainly know there stuff!

10. Ya there are more then some,I would say most do that swap. What's funny though is none of the mercs that were customized in the early days of mercs had that swap. Can you imagine if Hirohata had a lil 1950 window instead of the correct one that matches the rear end of a 51 merc. I don't get it and I don't ever want to.
    Keep up the good work fellas.

11. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Nice looking 51 chop! Great work.

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Soooo is it ok to put 51 fins on a chopped 49-50 or is that taboo also?? Pretty sure I know of one from the early days...;)

13. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Looks good both ways. There are few "absolutes" in customizing. It's about what pleases the eye.

14. Its all a matter of taste. Mercury changed the window for a reason between 1950 and 51. The one you are talking about I dont count because there are so many other modifications done to that car. I mean technically you are right it is a 50 merc with 51 rear quarters.

What do I know ,I don't even have a finished car. Just my opinions here.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  15. Very nice, subscribing.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It was good to see you & your dad again today , Tom . This will be a cool-looking ride when it's done . It looks great in person .

17. You are so full of crap,Jeff! If the Hirohata had a 49 or 50 rear window,you would be saying ALL Traditional Mercs should be that way. Same way you think they should ALL should have the rain gutters removed! You should be more neutral,instead of waving your opinionated flag! Almost every Custom back then was done different,so each owner could try to be unique.

18. I agree with Bob in a hetero way.

19. You got me on that one Bob. You telling somebody to not wave an opinionated flag ? Wow now thats a good one. Thanks for setting me straight.

20. I agree with Jeff in a non-hetero way.

MotorBike Mike likes this.
  21. A bubble like this car I saw last year?

[​IMG]

hamrdan likes this.
  22. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Pro Stock John, I deleted my post, as I realized afterwards, a new glass was mentioned.

But yeah, that picture you posted is terrible. Looks like a bubble in this chop, but maybe the new glass will help.

23. Hey guys...thanks for all the comments on the car. I have been meaning to get on here but just been busy,damn snow and ice !!
    In the pics. Jerry posted we just had the orig. glass laying in there and yes it does have the "bubble" affect. We were in the processes of trying to find out who makes the NEW flat glass rear window which we have now located, so that is what will be installed. We have chopped a lot of mercs in the past years for other people, and a few 51's but they always wanted the 49-50 rear window put in and you know the customer is always right. So this Mercury we are finally doing for are self's and we always wanted to try and use the 51 window. Top is chopped appox. 3 1/2".
    Qt. windows are lengthened 1 1/4". The rear window has taken a little more work but it is getting there. Just my Father and I are working on it so it is a little slow going, I will post some more pic. as we go. We are not really in hurry just having fun doing it. Tom

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  24. I'd like to hear about flat '51 glass hadn't come across that before.

25. thanks to jerry and the hamb he found us a name and phone # of a man in ca. who makes them. not cheap.. but a must. my father has all the info.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

One more subscriber.

27. There is a fair amount of variation in the profile of the factory 51 rear window. Some were flatter than others. I think I heard/read that they were "slump" molded/formed? Anyhoo, the one on my car has quite a bit of "bubble" to it like the one John posted above. Whoever chopped my car did not take the profile shape of the glass into consideration when they layed out the chop and thus it has quite the disturbance in the flow where the glass bumps up. I have a stack of factory windows here that I intend to sort through to pick the flattest one to correct the problem. Ultimately, however, I will cut the entire back window out and correct the problem entirely. I love a 51 window on a 51, but they do create a challenge to get right.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. desotot

desotot

Even the one piece 50 windows vary much in the amount of bubble they had, thats why I used a 3 piece 49 in mine.

29. desotot

desotot

30. That Seattle car looks like it has potential.

'51 back glass is tricky to make look good and I think personally that my car is about a 7/10... Good enough but I think if the roof had been leaned back a bit more and the glass dropped another inch or more. But I'm not a fabricator.

[​IMG]