Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Lincoln steering wheel on a 50 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sharmack, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Sharmack

Sharmack

Hey guys I was hoping someone could help me out. I'm wanting to install a 51 Lincoln steering wheel on a 50 ford. The Lincoln is keyed and not splined and the ford is splined. Was wondering if any of you have done this and how you went about doing it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks !!!

2. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Im not sure but did 1949 Ford have a conical / key fit ? I wonder since there is Crestline steeringwheels that has both fits , Im not sure if that is because some where option and brought to any Ford . Other ways would be to either cut and weld either the center of the steeringwheel or the shaft to whatever makes it fit ! One hard way would be to put the steeringshaft in a lathe and make the conical fit and cut a grove for the key !

3. 'Mo

'Mo

HAMB'er Eric H installed a Lincoln wheel in his shoe box, and had this to say;

"Yes we changed the hubs. We destroyed an old Ford wheel and removed the hub from the centre. We then set the Lincoln wheel up on a CNC machine and bored the centre out to match the Ford size. We pressed it in and TIG welded it from the back side. This could be done on a Bridgeport as well by dropping an end mill down through the Lincoln wheel."

[​IMG]

Eric's build thread is titled "The Black Cavendish".

Eric H likes this.
  4. Sharmack

Sharmack

Thanks for the information. That's what I was looking for!

5. vwdave30

vwdave30

Not a lincoln wheel but has a simular look a 46-48 chrysler wheel fits didnt have to modify anything

Attached Files: