Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 hudson Hornet project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by triman62, Sep 22, 2016.

1. triman62

triman62

I have been inspired by the talent on the H.A.M.B. to build myself a custom car. I never thought that I would be able to do what some of the master craftsman on here do, but I'll do the best I can with what I have to work with. I have been working on this car approximately 10 hours every week for about three years so I have a lot done already. Typing and posting pictures is not one of my strong points so I will post and comment from memory from time to time. Questions, comments, and suggestions, are always welcome. Thanks to all for posting their valuable information that I have learned so much from. I hope that this project will be informative and entertaining. I got this car and the one next to it for $650.00, from a gentleman west of Toledo Ohio.

Hudson (1).jpg

2. triman62

triman62

This is what it looked like after I unloaded it. 0831130731.jpg

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

volvobrynk, Wurger and triman62 like this.
  4. 41woodie

41woodie

I think Hudsons that age are uni-body cars, if that's correct it looks like you have serious work ahead of you. Good luck, Hudsons are special cars.

chryslerfan55 and triman62 like this.

5. at least you have a templet ( well somewhat ) ... best of luck w/ her

cant wait to see the updates on the progress ...

triman62 likes this.
  6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Whoah! That is a crispy critter. I love those old Hudsons, will be watching for sure, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and triman62 like this.
  7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Stock they look like a custom Mercury. That's just my humble opinion.

8. triman62

triman62

Thanks for all the well wishes for the project they really help a lot, it's going to take a lot of determination to save this old car. I am really motivated to build a car for myself, I have worked on cars for other folks all my life, but never done anything like this before. I originally bought the other car for a donor for the Hornet club coupe, after I got it home I liked the 2 door sedan more than I thought I would, so I decided I would build it also. Here's a picture of it next to the Hornet. 52 Hudson (1).jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It probably take the 2 to make a good one. Are you going to build or find a frame to put under it. I am assuming there is rust in the unibody frame rail from sitting on the ground.

10. triman62

triman62

1-Shot, I like your avatar pic, a rich tradition of Honor. You are correct about the frame, it is a total loss, bottom 6 inches of car paper thin and full of holes. The front coil springs pushed through the lower control arm years ago and were deeply pitted on the last two coils (a couple of fine candidates for lowering though). The roof skin was rusted the entire length of the drip rails also, made disassembly real easy. The 2 door coupe parts will go on a 4 door frame, so I bought another parts car, disassembled it and found the frame was going to take to much work so I bought another parts car, this will be a recurring them to this build. 1203141451.jpg

11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Have you thought about finding a donor car with a frame with the same track with and putting it under it.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  12. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I am impressed with your determination! Best wishes for your project. Remember it is just like eatng an elephant-1 bite at a time.

volvobrynk and triman62 like this.
  13. williebill

williebill

Good luck to you. If you want it bad enough.....
    That's a helluva job.

volvobrynk and triman62 like this.
  14. desotot

desotot

hmmm, chopped windshield, 53 chev conv top bows, 50 Hudson tail lights, 2" drop in the suspension, 500 sq ft of shop space, a mig welder,a couple of sheets of 18 ga tin. = tons of fun.

chryslerfan55, volvobrynk and brEad like this.
  15. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I am in, I am partial to Hudsons with Twin H power

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. triman62

triman62

I wanted to do this old school like the masters of kustom did back in the day. I am using a ox-acetylene torch/welder and a 4 inch grinder. I have salvaged about 40 pieces of 18 gauge 44 in. by 42 in., bending it with a couple pieces of angle iron clamped to a saw horse workbench. I have a small bay at my work, I go in an hour early and stay an hour late. I am having tons of fun, over 1000 man hours so far, and a couple more thou to go. IMG_0451.JPG 0220151332a.jpg

17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I admire your fortitude for taking on a project like you're doing.
    Just remember that many of the "oldmasters" of customizing that are still working their craft are using all the modern methods that are available to them now!
    They did it the "hard" way because that was the technology of the era that they started working their magic in.
    Don't make it harder on yourself than you have to.
    Just my crummy $.02!
    Good Luck, KK

volvobrynk and bobg1951chevy like this.
  18. triman62

triman62

I really like the old style ride of my 58 delray, I have read about the legendary handing of the stepdown Hudson so I am using a 4 door sedan, which is a fastback to put the notchback coupe parts on. This work will be similar to chopping the top so I will get that experience. Is it a coupe or a sedan? 0316151520.jpg 0316151224.jpg

koolkemp, brEad, Kan Kustom and 5 others like this.
  19. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'm going to enjoy watching this.

20. Slopok

Slopok

I think we all are! Just don't get mad when someone asks you how much did your chop your Merc?:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. triman62

triman62

KoolKat, I've been a mechanic for 40 years, I wanted to see what it was like to build a body similar to the manufacturing process, also want to see what it actually takes to save a car in this condition. I know this car wont be a show car but it is fun for me to do. I will get some real tools and equipment and do a more modern build on the 53 Wasp 2 door sedan next. IMG_0449.JPG

volvobrynk and Kan Kustom like this.
  22. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

image.jpeg Just look at the work Bill Hinse and Gene Windfield did with Oxy. & Acet. Torch. It can be done it just takes practice and the correct filler, I like ER70S6 it days deoxifiers and grinds easy, some people call it easy grind. Most people use too big a tip, you will de looking for a 0 or sometimes a 00 also they use too large of cutting tip same thing 0 or #1 any thing bigger you will be cutting plate. There also make a scarfing tip that's flat on one side for cutting out welds, once you learn you can cut to panels apart along a seam again practice. We did this before they had all the Spot and Mig. And Tig welder it's a real art form. Not like today's Tech. that cave and pave. Just take your time and learn the skill, and become a real body man. Take you time and allow for shrinkage when you butt weld, make test panels to see how much ther draw, especially door gaps and windshield, and butting panels. Try to get to the back side so you can work your weld with hammer and dolly, as you weld. Before you start something practice on scraps it will pay in the long run. You will make mistake, but learn from them and don't give up. I will be following and don't mind answering questions just PM me. Frank

volvobrynk, brEad, Kan Kustom and 2 others like this.
  23. triman62

triman62

I welded the door and rear fender with a #2 welding tip and suspended ceiling wire, I'll get a smaller tip and some real welding wire and give it a try, sounds like it might go a lot easier. Thanks for info. IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0502 (1).JPG IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0507.JPG

24. triman62

triman62

Found a couple more pics of the door. 0218160624.jpg IMG_0454.JPG

25. adam401

adam401

That's a ton of work. I love total resurrection threads. Keep it up your doing great

triman62 likes this.
  26. Pete

Pete

Give it hell!

triman62 likes this.
  27. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

You really need a #1tip so you can Controll the best better = less warping. As you practice you will be able to make your weld look like a stack of dimes it just takes practice. When you use a #2 tip and try to make a smaller flame your torch will start to pop, this will blow holes and General make a bad weld. When you light your torch you just want to feather the acetaline and the add oxygen till you bring the inner cone to a nice point or where the inner cone is barely feathered, which means that it is acetaline rich or as some people call it a carbonized flame. The smaller tip gives you a smaller heat zone less area to hammer and dolley. I don't know which brand of torch you have, Victor is a good brand and you can find parts at any welding shop. When you get your #1 tip pick up yourself a 0 tip. You will like it. I have a Victor junior and a small Smith Air line torch that is really well balanced in your hand and this makes welding a lot easier. Which ever torch you have or buy be sure you get a good tip cleaner and shapers. The cleaner and dressed you keep your tip the cleaner your weld. If your torch is hissing you have it turned up to much. Sorry I am so long winded. Frank

28. triman62

triman62

How about some homemade floor pans, not a factory look but I'm ok with them. IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0439.JPG 0406160653.jpg 0406160653.jpg IMG_0523.jpg

29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Im a fan! Pans dont oil can flex and trans tunnel plenty deep enough? Hate to ask but would rather ask now than later.
    Looks great, and will be great if they function as good as they look;)

triman62 likes this.
  30. Pete

Pete

Looking good! Keep it up and you'll be rippin around town in no time.

triman62 likes this.