Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 gmc how to lower on the cheep

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RenoRat, Nov 7, 2007.

1. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I need to get my51 panel low and on the cheap. I know dropped axle and or springs... But I'm thinkn 4 in blocks in the rear and pulling springs outta the front packs! Anyone have antother cheap ideas. Rich

2. Rockettruck

Rockettruck

If I remember correctly, the springs are located on top of the axle on the half-ton GM trucks. You could probably relocate the springs below the axle and lower the truck a couple of inches. You would have to heat and rebend the sreering arm some to get things to line up, but it wouldn't cost very much...

3. belair

belair

An added benifit is the absolutely HORRIBLE ride you'll get. I have one some one did that to, and if you think it rides rough now, lower it the wrong way.(there are several bad options). Get the right springs. That's what I'm gonna do.Spend a little more now and you 'll have a lot more truck.

4. brewsir

brewsir

I would clip it with a nice IFS...but I like my trucks to ride smooth!
    On the cheap I would probably z the frame right in front of the firewall...or possibly flip the front axle on top of the springs if there is room.

5. Pulled a couple of leaves out of my old 50 p/u. Rode ok and lowered it a bit but bottomed out easy on holes and stuff at speed. But it was cheep.:D

6. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

there is no way to lower the truck cheap and get any kind of ride, you get what you pay for.

7. brewsir

brewsir

depends on what cheap is to you I guess....I'd bet I could do it myself for under $500 and have it slammed and riding really nice...hell find a clip (keep your eyes open on Craigslist) for 100-ish and do it yourself,flip the axle in the back and you are down 6 inches all around with a nice driver.

8. Rat Bagstard

Rat Bagstard

On my front the axle is on the botton but there is only about 3-4" above the spring to the frame so I don't see flipping the axle to the top working.

9. belair

belair

As was said, cheap and good (and easy) are't gonna go together on this deal. Do what you can live with, and wait for the time you can do more.