Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Ford Shoebox Centerlink Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CJ101, Aug 8, 2021.

1. CJ101

CJ101

Hello! I'm finishing up the front suspension/steering on my 51 Ford Deluxe. I bought a NOS centerlink on Ebay a couple months ago. The original tag on it said 49-51 Ford. The dimensions for all the mount points are identical to my outgoing centerlink. But the diameter is a lot narrower (see below). It's a long story but I didn't set out to rebuild the steering so I bought a few parts at a time and now I'm wishing I had gotten the upgraded steering assembly that is available...but that ship has sailed. I figure it is probably plenty strong and unless I get some feedback otherwise, I will use it. I just thought I would post and see if anyone would know why it is a different thickness or have an opinion on if it is acceptable? I probably could reuse the old but absolutely everything on the car has been worn out to this point, so I worry about the ball joint. Thanks in advance!

upload_2021-8-8_12-4-7.png

2. You Should Post that Pic. on The Ford Barn they could probably help
    you a little Better.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm wondering if they may have done an upgrade somewhere between 49 and 51 or if yours is an aftermarket replacement and the nos one is an original Ford unit.

4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I can’t answer your question about a shoebox center link, but I narrowed the center link on a firebird clip. My bother the engineer did the math and materials and told me that it about 10 times stronger than need be

5. Phantoms1956

Phantoms1956

You’ll be fine with the new link. My 49 has the same size center like as your new one and I have over 100,000 miles on her now. To my knowledge the castings changed slightly after the first year 49 but there is no durability difference.