Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Ford before and after... It's a start.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Oldb

Oldb

Never really paid much attention to that series of Ford Cars, but I really looked twice at the photos you posted. That is a nice looking car. I like your plans for it.
    B

loudbang and F-ONE like this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Another shakedown drive yesterday. I had to adjust the brakes again first. I'm going to do another bleed. It's got good brakes now but they are still not quite there. It needs just a little more tweaking.
    There's more to it than just replacing parts. It takes adjustment and going through the process and shaking it out.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    ^^^
    This is what it's all about. Hitting those dusty roads and getting it dirty. It's what they were made for.:)

She handles pretty good in the very short dives I have made. I'm just going on 5 minute trips on the rural road I live on. I'm getting to know it. I'm learning it. Man it sure is fun. She does have a little wander but not too bad. You have to drive it, not ride in it. I do believe this is typical for the period. Both of my Business Coupes were like that, the '50 Ford and the '52 Chevrolet. Having to really drive a car I believe is a lost skill today. I know it's a little worn and there is stuff that to be addressed but a modern day driver would be terrified in this car. They don't know how to drive.

It's much, much better than my old worn out F1. Now that was a hood chase. It was a fun old truck though.

Next up... I found a pinion seal local so I'm going to get it tomorrow. I have to clean the shop and put the tools away from all the brake carnage, just so I can mess it up again. Man, I'm having a ball.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Thank You.
    Oh, I love them, I always have.
    Not to take away from the '52s and 3s, but in my opinion, the Shoebox Fords were the last of the truly great Early V8 Ford cars.

They were the right car, at the right time, in the right place (post war America). The Shoebox saved FoMoCo.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A set of thin trim rings would finish the wheels off without being overpowering...

Bill Whitehurst, F-ONE and loudbang like this.
  5. As previously stated, correct and it was explained better than I could as 6V volume 12V pressure.

I have a posting in the Shoebox Social Forum and need to update the work. Here it is upon arrival.
    011.jpg

6. I am surprised that @Big A has not seen this thread. He is very knowledgeable on these Shoe Box's and I bought a set of hub caps from him.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Just an FYI the Merc heads are actually lower compression than the stock Ford head. I have a couple of '51 two door sedan parts cars in the woods, they're pretty beat and picked but if you need anything let me know there's still some meat on the bones.

8. Are there any grille pieces and if so what condition are they in?

loudbang likes this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found that just adding the Aerostar springs improves the handling a bunch. I know it's not the shocks, because they were almost new, and since they seemed to still have the proper travel, I left them on. It is particularly noticeable negotiating cloverleafs entering or leaving the interstate. They used to be an adventure.:eek: Between the radial tires and front springs, it handles like an entirely different car.

loudbang, F-ONE and warhorseracing like this.
  10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Sorry nothing that sexy left. Mostly mechanical bits, window regulators, stuff like that...

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Love it!....
    That's a great car.
    The mind wonders. I've got a full plate but I can't help but think of "one day" project. I would like to find a 51 Tudor sedan. I would use a 1950 grille and 49 hood on the front. It would have a Y block with 3 94s. Stockish interior but with a roll bar. It would be either light gray or black, probably black.
    [​IMG]

I really do like your sedan.
    What do you have planned for it?

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Tubman,
    How much did those springs lower the front? I would not mind coming down just a little but not too much...maybe a couple of inches.
    For some reason it's not as apparent in the photos, but mine does have a little rake. I would not mind just a tad more.

13. Like you I'm a bit of Dreamer also. Your vision is very doable but I'd skip using the 49 Hood. Starting with a 51 you already have the hood hinges most 49 owners are looking for. Ford did an upgrade in 50. The 50 Hood will bolt directly on the 51 hinges. If it's the Block letters your after just add them to a 50 Hood and fill the badge holes for the 50 badge.

14. Love the direction you are heading and the understated hot rod theme! Looking forward to all the further changes and I do have a spare teapot carburetor if you end up needing one.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't measure it, but here is a before picture :
    51Before.jpg
    And here is an after :
    51After.jpg
    Follow the side trim forward to the front wheel and the change becomes apparent.

Also note that the first picture was taken when the car had 4 6.70-15 bias ply Firestones and the second when the car had 195/75 R15's on the front and 225/75R15's on the rear. On the first picture, the rear shackles have been "pulled down", and in the second picture they are back to the stock configuration.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, if you're going to the trouble of installing a Mercury manifold, I would suggest going a step further and boring it out to 1 7/16" and installing a small base Rochester 2G. These carburetors are easier to find that the Holley's, the kits are much cheaper, and they are easier to rebuild (in my opinion). Also, they flow significantly more when used with a properly enlarged manifold. If mounted backwards and used with an automatic choke, they almost drop right into place. The only problem is that they will not open all of the way with the stock Ford linkage. It will open far enough to add a noticeable increase in performance. Simply lengthening the throttle arm on the firewall makes the linkage over sensitive and affects driveability. I am working on a way to add "progressiveness" to the linkage by adding a cable on a "scroll", but have not perfected it yet.

17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Some updates....

Yesterday was a big day. Last night at home I was nervous. I guess I was just keyed up.

The Ford hit the road yesterday not just the neighborhood but a honest to goodness Highway. Yesterday was the first trip to the gas station and the first trip to town. I met my wife at the best Mexican place in town. We had a Mexican steak, rice refried beans with a fried onion cheese sauce. Of course cheeps and Salsa.

^^^ I know I'm heavy on the Thunder Road movie but I post this to show the terrain around here. I mean it is identical. The hills are not quite as steep but they are there. Where Lucas Doolin turns out on paved highway looks just like the place I turned out yesterday on the first trip....It's uncanny, dirt and tar and gravel.

Driving....

Nothing drives like a Shoebox Ford. All I have driven it on before yesterday were these dirt and tar and gravel roads. They are somewhat bumpy so speed is limited. So I did not know exactly how the car drove. When I pulled out on the pavement I could feel the grin in my cheeks. It's hard to believe but it's been 15 years since I've had a HAMB era vehicle on a big road.
    When I hit that nice pavement....butter smooth and straight, man it's a easy driver. I wound out 1st, 2nd and settled down smooth in High. Why folks poo poo these flatheads, I have not a clue. There's just something about them. They don't have that raw dragster pull but they do have something...it's different. It handles like it looks in the clip above. Kind of heavy on the front with a little lean especially when you are turning. It's not unpleasant and you are in full control. I really shocked how well it drove on those narrow bias plies. Does it drive like a new car? No. You have to drive it, really drive it and see saw the wheel a little.

Open headers yesterday. Toady I got my pipes. There's a shadow but they are there. I did not want those kind of goofy fish tail tips or the shotgun barrel look under the bumper.
    Oh with the new system it sounds like the Thunder Road car....

More to come...:)

18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's back in the garage to correct two issues. The first issue is hopefully just an adjustment.

Driving the car with headers only , you get all kind of smells and for the short neighborhood runs this issue was not apparent.
    The car always starts very easily. I noticed after my long trips the car would have to turn over several times to start. When a flathead is primed and warm, all it should take to start is just a "bump" of the key or starter button. 1951 is the first year for the key start. Also the longer I drove I noticed a strong smell of gasoline. This gasoline smell just kept getting worse.
    The first thing I checked for was leaks. No leaks were found in the lines or at the fuel pump. With the oil bath air cleaner on, no leaks were apparent on the carburetor base. Removal of the air cleaner revealed the source.

The airhorn gasket on the Holley/Ford 8BA "94" was wet and the carburetor body was damp with gasoline. Also the two bug bowl screws may be leaking. I suspected the float was too high.

^^^
    It was way, way off.
    I found it much easier to pull the pin and make the adjustment with the float in hand. You do not want to bend by hand but with a tool (screwdriver). You adjust the little tab the needle contacts and not the whole arm assembly. It took several times of tweaking, replacement and measuring, to get it right.

To set the float you must invert the airhorn and measure up from the base. Specs are 1 11/32 " to 1 3/8. The measure point is a the airhorn base and the top of the float body, not the solder joint.

After adjustment I had to adjust the idle speed up just a hair. I may have to adjust the idle, we'll see, but it seems to run much better.

The second issue is a very slightly leaking master cylinder. It's not loosing much fluid but it is leaking and no, joke it started all of a sudden. It could be as simple as a cap gasket. Today I have to find out where....
    BTW the master has a fresh kit in it. I have a new one coming but if it's a simple fix I would rather find it and fix it rather than replace it.

19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The master cylinder leak is the cap gasket....Whew!
    I'm happy about this as changing out a the master is a big deal on a Shoebox. I'll keep the new one as a spare.

I thought I had a loose hub cap today. The caps are fine and tight. The grease cap popped off on the passenger front and is rattling in the hub cap. You know this is going to be a mess.:rolleyes:

The float adjustment seemed to cure most of the gasoline smell. I'm still getting a little. I suspect I'm still getting a little seepage from those bowl screws.

20. Love the Coupe and all of the great references to Lucas Doolin and Thunder Road.:)...Of all of Mitchum's movies, and there were many, it's my all time favorite.

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.