Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '51 F1 Shifter Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Mar 29, 2018.

1. I received a very nice '51 F1 side-shift transmission a while back and would like to use it in my '31 Tudor behind a '57 Chevy V8. I am going to TRY to use the column-shift that came with the trans, but realize there may be SOME interference issues with steering/clutch/brake trying to occupy the same real estate.

Just in case, does anyone know if there is/was an aftermarket floor shifter for this transmission?

2. A Hurst Mystery Shifter would work if you could find one. But I would find a old three speed floor shifter, and a bunch of linkage rods and start making one that works. you only have 2 levers so it shouldn't be too hard.

And I got the Pass in the mail yesterday Brett. See you next week man!!

brett4christ likes this.
  3. I got an idea that the new Hurst Indy can be adapted they are pretty universal.

Both Fenton and Spark-O-Matic made shifters for them but they are going to be a lot like the Mystery Shift pretty much un-obtanium.

brett4christ likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Some hot rods used column shift in the late 40s and early 50s. They would mount the shifter above or below the column, or even to the left of the column to make it fit. In other words some of them shifted with the left hand.

brett4christ likes this.

5. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

If you can't get the column shift to fit/work. You could find a top shift light duty 3 speed case and shifter and swap all of your internals and rear mount from your tranny over. Just dont mix and match gears. 51 and 52 gears are diferent than the earlier ones.

Earlier gears are non involute where as 51 and later are.

brett4christ likes this.
  6. What year top-shift case do I need to look out for? Part number prefix(es)? Headed to the AutoFair nest weekend and might be able to source one if I know what to look for...

Thanks @porknbeaner !! The Hurst site actually states this shifter will fit '51-up Ford 3-speeds!

I'm going to mount everything else, THEN see what kind of room I have. Don't hold your breath, though....it's gonna be a while!!!!

7. Brett, I will look in my stash but I may have another 39 case that you can swap all those parts into. Gotta look and see if its a 39 or earlier 35 / 36 case.

8. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I know for sure 48-50 truck cases will work but am pretty sure 39-48 car and truck cases will work as well.

9. Yup all the guts will fit into the 39 to 48 case, and I believe you can put them in 37 and 38 cases, but they are not as strong as the 39 case. The 40 to 48 car cases are side shift but the trucks are floor shift till 50 or 51 I believe.