Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Dodge Pilot House

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by rogerp, Sep 21, 2012.

1. rogerp

rogerp

I'm new to this board and new to building a hot rod vintage truck. I've been rebuilding/restoring 70's and 80's cars as a hobby for about 25 years. Decided to tackle this one on a whim since I couldn't pass on the deal. I will be putting in a 360 with auto trans (got on a swap with truck). Understand a Volare front end swap is easiest and most likely rear axle/brakes will need upgraded
    Truck has original flat head six with transmission that will be for sale along with many other items once removed if anyone interested.
    But most of all, any advise on pitfalls and best practices will be most appreciated. This truck will not be a showpiece, but will be a weekend driver.

2. ramrod36

ramrod36
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Upstate NY

Welcome aboard from New York. Keep us posted on the Pilot House project. Happy that it will all be MoPar.

3. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

4. skull

skull

welcome.

good to see another pilothouse saved.

please do a build thread so we can follow along.

Later :cool:

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. lalkie

lalkie

is the front bumper good. how much did you want for it. I am in colorado 81504.

6. areyouseriouz

areyouseriouz
    from Denver, CO

Awesome! I'm in the same boat with the 51' Dodge truck, I can say this, mine is a basketcase, they had went through 2- 318's 1- built 360, and now I'm just putting in a stock 360 with a 904 which came with the truck along with an 8 3/4" rear end with 4 11's... I'll do a build up profile...

7. rogerp

rogerp

3 years later I'm still working on it. Took a couple years off to finish my Master's degree. I uploaded several pictures of the tear down and rebuild.
    Sorry to the purist on this one, I initially was going to use a Volare front and a Jeep Cherokee rear. I was unable to find a decent Volare front for a reasonable price and I found the Jeep rear leaf springs did not fit correctly sans major cutting and fabrication on the frame. But also my local pull-a-part had this nice Jaguar sitting there - got both front and rear setups for about $250 - and both fit without major modifications to the frame.
    I completely stripped the truck to the frame rails on blocks and started with a clean slate. Frame and underside of truck is plastic coated. The bottom of the cab had significant rust forward of the seat supports so I cut it out and welded new steel in its place.
    I removed all suspension and replaced it with the Jaguar IFS and IRS. I did not like the way Jaguar set up the rear springs and shocks so I removed it and custom fabricated new supports for aftermarket coil overs. All pedals, steering column, and brake system come from the same Jaguar for ease of use. Also got new rear fenders, glass, and seals. Of course many new parts (i.e. seals, bushings, bed wood, etc.) but do not feel necessary to list everything.
    The truck has a crate 360ci Mopar and 727 auto tranny with a 12" tail stock. The engine is topped off with an Edelbrock tunnel ram and 2 Holley 450's. I had to put block hugger headers on it in addition to custom welded down pipes to clear the stock frame.
    I chose to not cut into the cab for the transmission tunnel so the engine sits a little forward than normal. With that, the radiator will be put in the bed. I have the mounts fabricated and all piping ready, just need to feed the pipes inside the frame and connect hoses.
    I fitted 20" x 9" wheels under the fenders. The Jaguar track width worked out very well.
    Short of final items to button up on the drive train, I'm left with the interior to complete and some final body work. I have purchased a nice set of leather PT cruiser seats that fit perfectly (have power adjustment and heaters). Seat belts are also installed.
    Its deer hunt'n season here in Tennessee, so I'm a little preoccupied right now. I'll get back on it in January.
    Notice in the pictures I painted my garage and epoxy coated the floor somewhere in this process.

DSC02216.JPG DSC01941.JPG DSC02216.JPG DSC01941.JPG DSC02663.JPG DSC02632.JPG DSC02664.JPG IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0760.JPG IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1507.JPG

8. areyouseriouz

areyouseriouz
    from Denver, CO

Looks fantastic! You are inspiring me to go the Jag route, same setup. I love your build, crate 360... nothing like the hockey puck motor mounts buddy!

On the rear, do you have any more pictures of how you set that up? Like C notching the rear or not to c notch?

How does she handle and ride?

9. rogerp

rogerp

The truck is finished. Been driving around town for about 3 weeks working out the final adjustments and pesky leaks. I have a full build book created that includes all reference documents, pictures throughout the process, and all part drawings of custom parts I had to design and fabricate.
    Final Specs:
    - Four wheel independent suspension and disk brakes.
    - All brakes, suspension, and steering are Jaguar
    - 360LA with A727 automatic (Holley 650 with Street Performer aluminum intake)
    - 20" Helo wheels
    - Radiator and 10 gal fuel tank in bed (no room in traditional areas)
    - Kentucky State Maximum Security Prison jail cell door as tailgate
    - PT Cruiser leather seats with heaters
    - Rhino Liner in bed
    - Hammered charcoal paint with custom red pin stripe scrolls
    - Lots of small custom items.

IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0741.JPG Cover.jpg

10. rogerp

rogerp

Sorry for the long time responding. Just noticed it. I did not notch the rear frame any. A 90 Jag rear cage mounts just to the outside of the frame. I made some mounting "towers" for attachment to the frame rails forward the wheels for the main bushing mounts to attach. I made a secondary cross member for the rear stabilizers and another cross member mounted higher for the coil overs - BTW, I chose not to use the Jaguar coil overs. I purchased some old school hot rod coil overs that had adjustment. Below are the part drawings for the tower mount and the main cross member for the stabilizer bars. The cross member for the shocks will be a simple angle located wherever your shocks land and holes drilled accordingly. I also attached a picture of the full Jaguar rear assembly after I pulled it from the donor car (before cleanup). You can see the two main mounting arms and but not the two rear stabilizers since they had fallen behind the differential.

She handles fairly well. However, it does not ride as smooth as I initially expected. I guess the overall weight of the truck is not as much as the original Jaguar. You can really experience the independent suspension when hitting bumps or pulling into the driveway. IMG_0762.JPG
    Rear Suspension Cross Member.JPG Rear Suspension Support.JPG