Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy vert rear coil overs with leafs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, Aug 8, 2010.

1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey, I've asked some local guys and now would like to go the the far away guys. My 51 convertible is running Posies dropped springs in the rear. They are stock width and are in the stock perches. As the springs are likely to drop more with age and use, I was curious if anyone ever supplemented their leafs with a coil over? If I had gone to a Chassis Engineering rear spring kit, or any other maker of rear spring kits for the 49 to 54 Chevys, I would have had a wider and stiffer spring anyway and a stiffer ride also. So, aside from swapping out the springs again, would anyone think the coil overs are a good thing? Anyone do them?
    Dom[​IMG]

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Maybe the afternoon crew?

3. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

whats wrong with the posie's-ive had them in my car for 10+ years with blocks ,didnt settle that much ,rides great-even with a car load of people ,im running air shocks ,-what are you trying to do -what are you looking to do ?- Just drive the damn car and stop frettin about what;s going to happen 5 yrs from now!--- where were you yesterday milltown was great todd and i had a blast!--see you at the donut its been good lately!

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey Joe, She's been dropping and now I get some tire rub. When I turn I get it. I can use a pan hard bar for sure. Also looking at the tires on the passenger side the outer side of the tire is a little closer to the inner fender than the drivers side. That's with no people in the back. Either I got to get it up a bit or help it a bit. No doubt the back space on the new rims is a little shy. Man I can't believe the year is flying by. I got to get to the donut!
    Dom

5. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

If you're just looking for an inch or two of lift, I would think air shocks might do the trick. You've got a couple of nice Chevy's there!!

6. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

Hmm ! im running 15x6 rims front ,rear the backspace is 4 inches- i think any wider and they will rub up in the wheelwell ,on the front they will rub if the wheel is cut real hard ,i remember trying a set of 15x7 on the car and it wasnt do able-on the front, and the rear rubbed like hell with 3" blocks -thats why i went back to 15x6- airshocks might help-you on the rear , as for the front you are running a m-2 ,maybe narrowed a arms

7. 52HardTop

52HardTop

The fronts are fine. No rub there. It's just the rears. Not always but enough to piss me off! The Supremes are 7s. I love the look. They fill the rear wheel wells nicely. I may just go with some air shocks. Thanks for the kind words Waldo..
    Dominic

8. firemancooter

firemancooter

Remember that the upper shock mounts to the trunk floor and not the frame. If you try to support too much with the shocks you might have problems.