Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 chevy starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shadetree, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Hi
    I have my starter tore down on my 51 chevy, with a 235.
    It was still the old 6 volt, when I got the car, but I changed it over to 12 volt, but It has the same starter, on it as when I bought it.
    I went to put a new starter drive on, and the new drive will not slip over the splines, on the armature shaft!!!
    Any this is the link, to the starter drive that i bought!!
    http://stores.oksap.com/-strse-35/STARTER-DRIVE-CORVETTE-CHEVY/Detail.bok

My starter motor doest have a number of any kind on it. It is some kind of remanufactured job I guess!!
    Anyway my question is, are there a way that I can tell a 6 volt starter motor, from a 12 volt, by looking at it, sense it don't have any markings or numbers????
    I have it apart, right now, so if somebody could get back to me on this I would appreciate it very much.
    Duane

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Link don't work. You must use a drive for the 6 volt starter . One for a 12 volt won't work ,shaft and tooth count diff. as I remember.

3. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Yeah I know they are different.
    I was just trying to figure out, whether I have a 6volt starter motor, or if someone had changed it to a 12volt starter motor, before I got it.(it had no markings on it)
    But the guys over at chevytalk, got me sorted out!!
    Thanks
    Shadetree