Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy start up prep

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chgo Sox Fan, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Chgo Sox Fan

Chgo Sox Fan

Long time reader. Great source of information. I have a 51 Styline Deluxe original 6 with 3 on the tree. Car has sat for the past 8 years. It ran when parked and turned over, (didn’t start),about 4 year ago. Question is should I drop the oil pan to inspect for whatever or just change the oil? I know plugs, wires, points, and fresh gas are needed. Will most likely have to pull the gas tank and clean. Any other suggestions on start up are appreciated.

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Does the engine turn over or is it locked up?

4. Chgo Sox Fan

Chgo Sox Fan

It does turn over freely. Planning on putting MMO in each cylinder. How much is enough and just turn engine over to dispel the oil?

5. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Just read your article RMONTY, nice save!

6. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

It may not be a bad idea to pull the oil pan, there is probably quite a bit of sludge down there. Also clean the oil pump screen too while you've got the opportunity.

7. Chgo Sox Fan

Chgo Sox Fan

RMONTY, thanks for the replies. Also great info and save on the car.

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

I wouldn't drop the pan arbitrarily. If anything, buy one of the little $20 scopes that hooks to a cell phone and take a peek into the pan.

A teaspoon of MMO in each cylinder and a compression check is where I would start. If that's all good, rebuild the carb for less than $40, change the oil with the cheapest oil you can find and an old fashioned tune up, and put the engine on life support. An IV tank, and direct wire to the ignition and see if she will bust off. Dont take anything apart that you dont absolutely have to at this point. Get it running but dont drive it. Get it stopping and then drive it. Then start fixing what you have to in order to keep it on the road while having fun!