Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 51 Chevy Sport Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59buick, Oct 21, 2014.

1. 59buick

59buick

Bought a 51 with no seats and was a Powerglide car, I am going to run a 3 spd with a floor shift, a guy told me to find a original clutch pedal with the bracket, where can I find this? Does any after market catalogs sell these? Also I will run buckets in the front , what kind of seat will fit in the back of the 51? Thanks for any help.

2. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Have you checked under the car to see if it's still there? My 50 was converted to a powerglide by the PO and the original clutch pedal arm was just dropped down under the floor and the hole blocked off. The clutch and brake pedals share the same bracket under the floor, so if you still have your through-the-floor brake pedal, you may still have the parts you need under the car. You kind of have to get way under there and stand on your head to see it, it's above the drivers side K-member mount.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

First of all, you're going to need a manual transmission master cylinder. The clutch and brake pedals pivot off the master cylinder; the auto trans master has one pivot hole, the manual trans master two holes. Then you'll need the rest of the clutch linkage. Check in over at ChevyTalk.Org, on the 49-54 forum, there will be more people familiar with these cars, and some on-line manuals to look at to give you a better idea of all that's involved. The other way, would be to convert to an after market hanging pedal setup, and use a hydraulic clutch/master/slave cylinder. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. 59buick

59buick

Thanks for the help, the car was a original auto, so I guess I will have to get the auto master cylinder and pedal