Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy speedo cable

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51chevcoupe, May 5, 2009.

1. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

Greetings everyone, I need some info on finding the correct speedo cable for my '51 Chevy coupe. The motor/ trans combo is the ( I know, I know- boring!) SBC 350/ Turbo 350. All the info I've found so far says that 55- up speedo cables (until they started using the clip at the top) are the same except the length of course. :) I tried a stock 51 cable and it doesn't match the trans. threads. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to get a speedo working- the local Man doesn't have a sense of humor about speeding. Thanks in advance,
    Ed

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wonder if the 53 would have been different?
    I plugged (screwed) my original cable right into the th350 in my 53 and back up to the speedo..no problems

3. I got a cable for my 31 chevy and it did fit the th350 tranny. Just had to modify the driven gear to accept the male cable end. Try the filling station for a cable then try
    http://www.redrider.us/Speedometer_Gears.htm#350 here for an adaptor, Good luck, Bob

4. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate this site and the people on it!!
    Ed