Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy pickup gauge question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kellym, Oct 10, 2011.

1. I bought a new set of gauges from a vendor and installed them in my dad's 51 AD this weekend. I noticed, after I had installed the gauge that the gas gauge appears to be missing it's needle. Should the needle be visible?
    Has anyone else had this experience?

Also, what do I need to hook up the oil gauge? I tried an autometer copper line kit, but the line kept sliding out of the fitting on the back of the gauge.

Attached Files:

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

looks like the needle is missing. Chevy truck part houses like Brothers, Classic trucks, The car and truck truck shop carry new replacement fuel gauges in the original 6 volt and 12 volt for about 45 dollars. These places also carry the oil pressure line in the original metal type line and new style plastic.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Are you using the ferrule on the copper line? thats what crimps it in. Of course the gas gauge should have a indicator needle.

4. I was using a ferrule, it seems that the taper on the back of the fitting on the gauge is not deep enough and the nut is bottoming on the ferrule instead of pushing it further into the taper to lock down.

I'm a little angry at the needle, this damn gauge took me 2+ hours to install, not I need to take it out again.

5. It looks like I'm going to be screwed by the vendor, they want me to purchase a replacement gauge cluster for another $350.00, then send the defective one back. Once they receive the defective one they will determine if they want to refund my money or not.

Oh, they were not surprised that it was missing the needle - seems like poor quality control if you ask me.

Can anyone recommend a quality vendor to purchase a complete guage cluster for a 51 chevy AD pickup - Any alliance vendors? Is there more than one manufacturer for the guages or are they from the same place?

FYI, I bought this defective one from the Car and Truck Shop in Orange county - stay far away from them, they will not provide any customer service for defective parts.

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU

Kellym, most vendors sell the gauge clusters. When I was building my '50, I used Classic Parts of America (formerly known as Chevy Duty) and Jim Carter's for the parts that I couldn't find in boneyards, swap meets etc. Because most of the repop parts nowadays are manufactured overseas, I went with these 2 vendors because of their customer service. Both vendors have excellent customer service departments and will normally handle your complaints instantly.

I bought my gauge cluster from Classic Parts of America and all gauges operate as they were designed to do.

steering wheel.jpg

Good luck!

Ken

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you use the needle off the old gauge or do you have an old gauge to get the needle off?

There is the odd chance that the needle fell off the gauge and is inside the housing too.

On the line, there are a couple of different ferrules that fit the 1/8 in line that go oil pressure gauges.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

the question is how in the world could you not notice the needle was missing in the first place, before you spent 2 + hours installing it?!!

9. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Hence the expression

"Like finding a needle in a gas gauge"

10. I know..I feel like an idiot not noticing it before, who would have though a brand new gauge would not have a needle.

If you have ever replaced one of these gauges, all of the work was done with the gauge facing down, then I was on my back bolting it in, I finally emerged from under the dash, only then to notice the missing needle.

11. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV