Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy P/U Daily Driver Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy54, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hahah...Phil Im glad ya like the sights...Thanx buddy! (Btw..all one color it is!);)
    CJ...bring it on down brotha, Sunday is the roadster breakfast in Orange I think!
    Im not sure itll be that nice man but it will be fun trying!

2. BadLuck

BadLuck

yeah, its snowing right now! hahaha but hit me up...we'll see what sunday looks like... i lost all my numbers on my phone so hit me up when you get a chance... CJ

3. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Ok, so I got the Chev out back yesterday and started unbolting and stripping it down. Everything looked really good as I was going along and hope the rebuild will go easy too. I found a couple little things I have to take care of but for the most part Im still very happy with the purchase!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Stripping out the interior in the morning...Then off with the cab, with the help of about 4 guys!

5. oldman2

oldman2

Very nice project piece to start with, will be watching this build.

6. jfrolka

jfrolka

What are your plans with the motor?

7. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

The motor is a perfect running 283 with a 327 cam and hydrolic lfters, backed by a th350. Im going to clean and paint the motor/trans and replace some leaky gaskets and run it!!

8. Is that a 55 first series rear axle? Only (half) year AD with an open driveline.

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I was told its a 67 Chevelle rearend but I dont think thats right, I believe its like 55-64 style rearened out of a GM. It is stamped GM on the front side and has 10 Bolts...kind of looks like a Nine inch with a longer front snout!:confused:

10. Nice truck, the rearend does look like a 55-64 car style rearend. Is it 5 lug? Do you have pics of the front of the rearend? That will help ID for sure.

11. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Heres a couple shots of the rearend if anyone has any info to add!

[​IMG]

This is the #s on the front drivers side.

[​IMG]

12. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I took this heater box out of my truck but it does not seem to me as tho its stock...does anyone know if its Chevy box:confused:

[​IMG]

13. IS there anything stamped in the passenger side of the rear? looks like a 1962 model rear?

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Nope...just the fill plug about a 3rd of the way up.

15. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

have fun registering that truck here in florida. i just paid around $760.00 to register my truck and a car. the tax-n-spend republicant's down here should be publicly executed. the goddamned place is a car lovers nightmare...

16. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

Chevy54: when you upgrade to a big-block, send me your puny 283 please...

17. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

don't think so... my Eaton 62 diff looks quite different but has the same basic "style".

18. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hah, Im hoping that little 283 treats me well for many years to come! The thing goes so good....just enough power but does well on milage...if I want some power I jump in the 54!:D

19. BadLuck

BadLuck

looks like fun Eric! perfect weather now to be working on it! we worked on SoCalChevys chopped vent windows yesterday and went for a cruise.. gotta love it... he wants to come down and check out you 54 one of these weekends...

20. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thats cool...his 54 is bitchn...ive always dug the chop on it. Miami next weeknd for the big Bday then Im free any weeknd after. Should try for a sat morn on the 730ish side and all roll to the anti-breakfast then down to the beach after that and show u high desert guys the ocean!:D

21. BadLuck

BadLuck

thats sounds good... hey, my bday is tomorrow!! I wanna go to Miami! haha..
    we'll set something up when you get back :)

22. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Happy Birthday bro and big props to us Aries!!:cool:
    Ill be uploading some truck pics tomorro to show everyone where im at!

23. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

So here is what I found when pulling apart the inside of cab....It could have been worse but so much for super clean and rust free....ran down the road to The Truck Shop in Orange and grab 2 floor panels and will be cutting them in today.
    Then pulling apart the front axle and components to ship to Sid for the dropping!:cool:

Drivers side not so bad...
    [​IMG]

Passenger side a bit worse tho..
    [​IMG]

24. BadLuck

BadLuck

c'mon Eric... knowing you.. those floor pans are already in!!! wheres the pics!!

25. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hah..not yet bro...got the right side cut out today and pan ready to go back in...doing driverside tomorro..hopefully my new welder will arrive this week so I can stich it up and pull that cab off!

26. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

So today I got drivers side cut out and everything cleaned up, then fit the new pans and cut them to fit the truck floor. Then I broke out the Por-15 and painted all under the dash/firewall and the sub-structure. I also made sure to get down in the door post lower pockets so no more rusting will wanna take place! The drivers side lower pocket was packed solid with some Texas dirt from some critter! It took forever to poke it all out the drain hole but its gone now and painted!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new pans cut to fit how I cut rust out, I didnt need to use the whole
    height of new pans so I cut it all lower.
    [​IMG]

27. noxided

noxided

That floor board doesnt look that bad considering it from texas. Most of my cars have no floor at all when i get them.

28. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I know, it def could have been worse..plus the rest of the truck is amazingly solid including a couple inches up from the rot where the whole fire wall is like brand new silver metal. she will be back to normal soon!

29. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

nice truck...cant wait to see it progress.

30. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

nice progress keep it going