Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 chevy heater core help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, May 3, 2014.

1. fitzee

fitzee

trying to get my head around the heater in my 51. the 52s chevys I had has the heater core out in the engine bay and I was thinking this was just a blower motor but I noticed that it has 3 inlets for water in the firewall.. so Im guessing it has a core inside the car? the heater has never produced heat sence I got it last fall..any help in undrstanding these heaters would be great. thanks

Attached Files:

2. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

hello mate, i think they did a heater upgrade for stylelines that didnt originally come with a heater on the styleline special, try googling it and see if you come up with anything im sure ive read that that did fit them, although of course being 60+ years old it may well have been fitted by someone as a one off..

3. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

4. fitzee

fitzee

thanks. link was big help. seems there was a standard system like what is in my 51 ,heater core inside and a fresh air system like what was in my two 52s which had the heater core out in the engine bay.. so now I have to find out why its not blowing warm air!. also who is running the standerd heaters?? and is there a trick to making them quit? mine is very noisey

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. You have probably cheked this but it is always best to check the simple stuff first.

Do you have a manual water cut off valve in the water pump where the heater hose attaches?

Also I do not remember what year they began putting a water cut off valve on the firewall with a cable where it was controlled from the heater control on the dash. If either of these two things are there you may just have the water cut off to heater.

Good luck, Jim

6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi again. Just reread your question & will comment on heater noise. Usually it will be either the heater motor bushings or a problem with the fan. If motor bushings you will have to try oiling the bushings with a very light oil and get it to work down into the bushings. If it is the fan problem it will depend on whether the fan is plastic or metal. If plastic likely it is cracked somewhere and rubbing something or there may be trash that has sucked down into it from either the air intake or down the defrost vents. If metal then it is likely trash.
    For either metal or plastic it is critical just how far down the motor shaft the fan sits. I really forget whether the fan sits centered in the housing of not. Likely that placement can be found in a service manual if someone here is not sure. From memory if the fan is not at correct location in the housing it cavitates and makes noise. Hopefully they will comment on this.
    good luck, Jimmie

7. fitzee

fitzee

good info thanks. ill be pulling it out of the car for close inspection and seeing if I can fix the noise.