Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy engine choices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fifty8, Sep 27, 2007.

1. fifty8

fifty8

I recently acquired a 1951 Chevy Bel Air, which was my Mom's first car (this car, not in general). This is my first Chevy and not being familiar with them, I'd like some opinions on engine choices. The car has its original engine, but I am going to tuck that away safe and sound. Its nice having the original, but all it takes is throwing a rod or something bad and I won't have the original engine anymore. I plan to drive the car. I have since bought a 235 from what the previous owner said was a 58. It needs to be rebuilt. My cousin has a 71 Chevy pickup he is working on that has an L22 250. He is swapping it for a V8 and offering me the 250 and transmission. This engine and transmission are in great shape. I've seen alot of cars with later 235 engine swap, but I have not seen one with a 250 yet. There again I have not spent that much time researching, yet. I know anything can be done, and some modifications may be necessary for the 235 like for the water pump, but what would be involved for dropping the 250? I like the classic look of the 235, but it needs a complete rebuild and the 250 is ready to go, transmission and all. Should I stick with the 235 or opt for the 250? Suggestions? Comments? This picture is of my Mom's Mom with the car in the background, July 1959.
    [​IMG]
    <!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><!--SIGNATURE-->

2. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Easiest way is to put the 235 in it. You can use the factory front motor mounts with no problem. To put a 250 in it but will require a little motor mount fabrication/welding. My buddy is dealing with that same question on his '49 business coupe. He has a '62 235, '63 230', and a 371 Olds J2. He may use the J2 Olds 371 because it was the thing to do "back in the day" with those pre-V8 Chevies.

Marty McF.

3. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

head over to www.stovebolt.com and there should be more information about doing the swap. The 235 is a good motor, the 250 is a GREAT motor. It all depends on how much $$ you want to throw at it. I did the SBC swap because at the time I couldn't justfiy speding 1-2k on a 235 just to get it running (new valve seats, new intake exhaust, etc). I would also think that 250 parts are still available at your local auto stores, not too sure about 235 parts.

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

If you want to DRIVE this car, go with the 250 (out of the two choices you mentioned). The 250 will be a MUCH more reliable engine, service parts will be easier to get, and it's compatible with today's gasoline (something SO many people overlook!). It's a little more work to put the 250 in there...and, in truth, you'd almost be better off going to a small block...but if the engine is good and it's free, then it's well worth it!

The 235 would be an easier swap...being that you could retain the closed driveline easier (you could also retain it with the 250 if you pick and choose your parts right...but WHY?!) The fact that your 235 would need a total rebuild should take that option off the table for you, really. It would be far too expensive to do compared to running the already good 250. And, a 235 is a Stovebolt....'nuff said there! Ha Ha...in short?? "Tic Toc BOOM!...Next?!" (You will become really proficient at changing engines often if you run a Stovebolt!)

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

don't forget about the enclosed driveline.... To use the modern tranny, you will have to change the rearend, and get a new driveline.
    I think 567 chevs, and 70 to 81 camaro rears are a bolt in.

6. 6inarow

6inarow

With a little effort and a bit more money you can keep the stock rear and put a saginaw 4 speed from Patricks in it. If it has 3.55 gears, you are good to go.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  7. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

My first car was a 51 Chevy Htp. It was a great little car.
    I swapped the 216 for a 1955 Corvette 235 with tripower. Put a little different cam and a set of headers and not too many 55/56 Chevys with 265's could keep up stop light to stop light.
    I punished the 235 and it "kept on ticking", also had a friend who had a 270ci(I think it was a 270) GMC six and it was also very stout.
    I used the stock transmission and had a floor shift......................I broken enough transmissions (the 51 has an access cover where you can take the trans out from the top (interior), and I could change a trans in less than 2hrs.
    That was the only weak link I encountered in almost 2 years.
    The car was nosed and decked and had an Oldsmobile 1 piece windshield that replaced the two piece Chevy. I loved that car...........................
    Don't let anyone kid you, the 235's are great little engines and stand a lot of abuse if setup correctly. It was also the first engine I ever rebuilt. A little head work, a mild cam and some carb's and headers and you've got one sweet running car.
    Wish I had the car today!

Picture was taken in 1962

Attached Files:

8. Road Runner

Road Runner

Another vote for the 235.
    Can't beat it for endurance and miles on the road.
    Got a late 235 in my daily driver 1/2 tonner since 1995.
    Probably was rebuilt about 20 years ago.
    Swapped a new head last year and compression was like new again.
    Don't think this engine will need another rebuild in my lifetime with typical street driving in a small town....

Farmers used to run 235s non-stop driving pumps on the side of fields with large fuel tanks.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

the 250 with a 5 speed, a driveshaft from a 70s midsize GM and a rearend swap would put you in business, and keep it under $500 if you scour the junkyards. I think you can use a v8 motor mount swap kit (ala Walton, RBs) for the 250. I'm not sure what you'll need for a trans crossmember, but it will need changed unless you keep the stovebolt style engine.

I have a 54 235, t5 and a 55 rear. It sure isn't fast, but it runs strong.

11. I vote for the mild hop-up route. Keeping that car un-butchered should be important to you, why else would you be keeping the original 216. I'm a member of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America, but I'm also a hot rodder, and I've seen the stovebolt flogged every which way, they are tough! Hardened exhaust seats are also un-nescessary unless it's in a heavy truck or it's under 70&#37; power for long periods, like climbing grades. Some stainless exhaust valves suffice otherwise.

12. belair

belair

Sounds like you are going to spend the same amount of time/money no matter what you do: rebuild the 235 - costs money, but easy installation, less time, easy to do. Option of replacing the gears from Patrick's and keepng the original rear, or a later model rear end and trans and mounts-probably gonna cost about the same, but more swapping and more time to update. Also, loss of originality. OR the 250-no money up front, but some fabrication. Call Chevys of the 40's. The girl will give you a phone # for a gut who sells a weld-your-own kit for a 250 swap. I am going to call him soon for my '48. SO-you get the 250 in-after finding some mounts and getting the engine to fit. Will your trans fit the 250? If you are using a Power-Glide, is that going to satisfy you? It sounds like with a 216 you have a stick. Is that going to live behind the 250 and your right foot? Don't the 235's have solid lifters for sticks and hyd. for PG cars? If so, you would want to know which you have.
    After all is said and done, I'd pony up the $$, go with the 235, (so cool, and TUFF) and change the gears in the rear end. I got a 57 Chevy rear for mine, but that stuff is becoming hard to find. Good luck, sorry this is so long.
    Found the# for the mount man-360-652-7684 Buffalo Ent. Nice guy.

13. fifty8

fifty8

I appreciate the responses so far. The car was mostly taken apart long before I got it. It has been in storage since 1974. It has a way to go before its ready for the road regardless so I'll have plenty of time to sleep on it.