Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Chevy build journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robleticia, Oct 26, 2010.

1. robleticia

robleticia

Antenna? What's that?:eek: This is a radio delete car, why would you want to cover up the sound of that 235?:D Never in a million years will this car have a radio! Frenched headlights:rolleyes:.....wait and see....

2. robleticia

robleticia

AHHHH....your Caddy is fucking awesome! Can't wait to see the fleetline!

3. Great build on a budget! Has the right look and I like 4-doors too, great with shuffling kids and parts in & out. I prefer a static drop myself, less things to go wrong when you're 300 miles down the road. Keep up the fantastic work.

Bob

4. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

Your car is looking bad ass. Keep us posted on the build.I really like the color looks good on the 50's!.

5. robleticia

robleticia

I have been following yours as well, very nice! I love the roof color! I will try and post some more pics tonight.

6. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Hey Rob the car looks fantastic, and you should hold yer head up high!! Who cares if its got 4 doors, a bad assed car is a bad assed car!!! Oh yeah put a stereo, it drowns out the noise of the wife & kids telling you to slow down....

7. Joe515

Joe515

If we have a winter like last winter I might be up for a road trip.

8. robleticia

robleticia

Ok, time for another quick update. The rear bumper needed some love so we took it off the car, took it apart and proceeded to narrow the bumper 2-3 inches and welded it back together, no more three piece shit! Trying to make everything "flow" together, we decided to lower the bumper down about an inch or so, about an 1/8" above the rear valance which we also cut an inch off of to make the bumper a little closer to the car. Lowering it also made the bottom of the bumper almost flush with the bottom of the rear fender which to me looks awesome. Now it looked much better but it left a gap in the fender on the sides of the car where the fender is recessed for the bumper. Plans are to re-do this and lower the recess down to the top of the bumper to get rid of the gap. We will do that later. Here are some pics of all this...

Attached Files:

9. robleticia

robleticia

a couple more views so you can see how much closer it is to the body, much better! Later plans call for a smoothed valance.

Attached Files:

10. robleticia

robleticia

Might as well get on that front bumper while we are at it. I keep saying "we", that means Racrdad is spending the weekend again so we can get some shit done. Thanks to my wonderful wife for watching my kids and his while the boys are making progress! For the front we decided to do the same thing, narrow the bumper, make it one piece, bring it closer to the body and lower it down to be flush with the apron. The twist here is we flipped the bumper upside down! This made everything look different. We love it and believe it just helps round out the front end and really helps with the smooth look we are after. I need to name this car "smooth ???" since i keep using that word. Anyway, check it out and hope you like it. And yes I am going to fill all the bolt holes front and rear and have them rechromed, but there is alot of metal finishing to do to them before they are ready for that!

Attached Files:

11. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

very nice 51,where is angleton?

12. robleticia

robleticia

From Houston, 288 south right before you get to Lake Jackson. And by the way, you have too many toys! Nice cars!

13. farmer12

farmer12

Wow you're really moving along with this build. This is one cool car you're building here, very impressive. Love the fact that its family friendly too !

14. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

looking real good there! i just cant stop looking at those sexy wheels.......

15. I like the work you've done! I've similar plans for my 235 but also considering a lopier cam. Also, how does it street with the dual carbs? I've read differing opinions on Stovebolt.

16. sololobo

sololobo

This baby is lookin real right. As mentioned, don't apologize for more entry openings. My brother Doug in Schreveport calls them, "no waiting", very good moniker in my opinion. I really digging that minty orig color, I think a repaint in it would be so tasty. Flash is not a must in my opinion. Rock on pal. ~Sololobo~

17. robleticia

robleticia

thanks Sololobo! Original plans called for black suede with a silver heavy metalic roof. Since then I have made up my mind that it will not be suede. I really like it when the roofs of these cars are flaked. Any color ideas from any one are greatly appreciated. I'm not in a hurry to make up my mind as paint is still a ways off. I too like the original color, its different.

18. robleticia

robleticia

Ok, bought some ribbed trim rings this weekend but I cant make up my mind. I like them both ways so I would like the HAMB's advice. (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics) YES for the rings or NO. The reason for asking and not just trying them out for a while is I don't want to scratch my wheels. Come on guys, watcha think?
    Thanks!
    Rob

Attached Files:

19. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

I'll vote for NO. Depends on the other things you're going to do to the car, though..

20. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Doesn't look bad with the chrome rings but me personally I like them without.

21. RPIERCE

RPIERCE
    from Alvin Tx

i know of 2 great stripers in alvin right down the street from angelton. send me a pm if you're interested.

22. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I say run em!!!!! a little touch of "class" if you will.

23. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Yes to the trim rings. They dress up the black wheels just enough without going overboard.

24. metalix_421

metalix_421

im liking the rings as well run em'

25. robleticia

robleticia

Well I did a poll and 136 of you voted. 115 yes and 21 no, thats 84.56% yes. So for now I shall keep the rings (good, cause I got a smokin' deal on them) and I will hold off putting them on until the car is painted, whenever that is! We can photo shop them on at that time just to make sure they look good. Thanks everyone for your input, I respect the HAMB and the advice that comes from it.
    Rob

26. robleticia

robleticia

Look what showed up at my house? I have no clue what I am going to do with this?:D HMMMM.........well I better get to learning how to use it!

Attached Files:

27. I just picked up on this build thread - I'm now kicking myself for having by passed so many of these cars in the past - man is this looking good! I too love the wheels - the rings will give it a classy look as has been said. My buddy has a 2-door post car ( that's his in the pic) that looks sweet but I never thought a 4-door could be so cool looking!

Attached Files:

28. smoked1

smoked1

Nice car! I have A 41 moredoor and a 59 stepside chev both with full flow converted 235s(my twins) I like 4 doors and sixes. Hope you can drive her soon.

Attached Files:

29. nice work rob . i finally lowered the rear of the 54 .

30. robleticia

robleticia

Tom/smoked, thanks!
    Jake, A picture is worth a thousand words!