Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 chevy alternator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old soul, Feb 22, 2012.

1. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I have a 235 straight 6 in my car. It has a generator with the wide v belt. Twice the size of a normal v belt for a stock aternator. Are those common by the way??? So I just took the big v belt pully and put it on my alternator. Thats ok to do right? I mean the pully it self on the generator Is larger then the one that came of the alternator.

So it seems like it wouldent spin the alternator as fast as the stock pully or is it ok??? Im just wondering if all this stuff is normal to do?? Or do I have a real mess going on? My last question is. Does any one make a lower alternater bracket to bolt to the 235??????? Thank you

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

pulley should work fine. i made a bracket to mount my alt.

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im thinking of making one. But how do I go about it with the motor still in the car with such limited room??? Any tricks or tips???

4. bri0057

bri0057

Try Mr. Gasket 6380 or 9850 and then shim with washers to position the alternator inline with the fan pulley. You should be just fine running the larger pulley.[​IMG]

5. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I looked up that part number it shows the bracket it looks like you have there. But it says for small block chevys with headers. Is that what you got and it worked just fine????????

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The pulley you are using should be just fine for two reasons......one: it's what was engineered to work with the big (thick) belt which needs a larger radius because of it's thickness and ....two: your alternator will charge quite well even at a bit less rpm than it may have been operating at in it's original application and you probably don't have as much electrical load on it either. Also, you "might" have a larger crank pulley diameter than the app the alt came from.

So, don't sweat it, you are on the right track.....but your questions were good ones to ask. You are thinking about the consequences of changes you are making, and that is good.

Ray

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try this for the mount. Get a 3/8 bolt that is long enough to go though both ends of the original generator bracket. Set the alternator down in place and slide the bolt through the bracket and alternator from the front. When the alternator butts up against the front bracket the belt should line up. Measure the space between the back of the alternator where the bolt goes through to the back bracket. Make a spacer to fit and put it in place, put the lock washer and nut on. you will probably have to hunt down a top bracket though as I don't remember what I used for that.

I'm pretty sure that will work fine for you. I did it on a 235 that I built for a friend and he has had it on there for abut 30 years.

8. fiddy

fiddy

Check out patrick's auto parts, they know stovebolts and carry alot of conversion stuff like that.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Make sure that there are fan blades on the pulley as you could heat the alternator up in a hurry!

10. cederholm

cederholm

I took the stock generator braket and chopped the end off. Then I welded it back in place so it looks like the image above. ...works great.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I used an alternator bracket from an early Nova six cylinder and had to drill just one new hole for the 235.

12. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Very helpfull I went with your idea with the part number you gave me and it worked like a charm. Thanks every one for the help.