Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy AD, 283 with stock column fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, May 5, 2013.

1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey all, I've read where the 350 will need to be moved slightly when using the stock steering box and column in a 50s Chevy pick up. How about the 283? Will it fit with a Rams horn type exhaust manifold? Any experiences would be helpful. Thanks, Dominic

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A 350 and a 283 and any other sbc for that matter are all exactly the same on the outside as far as figment goes. Whatever you've read for a 350 you have in effect read about a 283

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Usual solution is to space the steering box over to make a little more room. 283 and the
    350 are the same exterior measurements, so either would involve offsetting the motor and /or the steering gear the same. You might also want to look at some of the power steering kits available for these trucks, they mount the box further forward which means some changes to the steering column hookup but creates space for the exhaust. Jim

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Thanks guys. I had a feeling the 283 would have the same issues. My truck has a dropped straight axle now. I'd like to keep it and not go with a front end swap. I've been toying with a new column and box along with some Borgenson joints. I guess I was looking for an easier way out. Something about the 283 being a bit more cool than the 350. Thanks again,
    Dom