Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy 3100 project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by simplestone, Feb 19, 2012.

1. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

2. Got the rear axle ground down & painted with POR15. Redrilled, painted, and bolted the 51 backing plates to the 12 bolt axle. Also broke apart and painted the rear leaf springs while I was at it. I only removed one leaf (3rd leaf was broken on one side) at this time. I may decide to eventually remove another - we'll see.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also took a 40 minute drive to a friends house. He's been working on a 52 Chevy 1/2ton for quite some time and had some parts he wanted to get rid of. I was mainly interested in the new shocks & 12volt wiring harness he said he had.

I ended up bringing home a "like new" gas tank, complete 12v wiring harness with instructions, 4 new shocks, nice headlight buckets, front backing plates with rebuilt wheel cylinders, new shoes & new hardware, front drums, shock to frame brackets, and a box of miscellaneous parts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was prepared to pay more but he would only take $100 for the whole lot. It feels a little bit like Christmas. :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Chavezk21 likes this.
  3. shadams

shadams

Nice score, love it when stuff like that falls in your lap. Looking good..

4. Well, today is a big day - my truck is a roller again! :)
    I installed the rear springs, new shackles/bushings and mounted the axle. After bolting on the tires and removing the jackstands I was amazed at the amount of "bounce" in her. I felt a little like a kid jumping up & down on his bed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it got the truck home the suspension was so rusted it felt like sitting on a rock. Feels good to be making progress. :)

5. I've had the whole week off from work so I've been able to spend some more time on the truck.

I was looking at my rusted cross supports for the bed and was feeling like I didn't really want to spend the $27 X3 plus shipping for new ones, when I recalled seeing some steel struts at the home depot. I measured my cross supports as 2 inches high, and compared that to the home depot struts (1 3/4 inches). I figured I could just increase the height of the wood blocks by a 1/4 inch. Struts were 10 feet and cost $16. I could get 2 cross pieces out of each strut, and since one of my cross supports (the one in the pic) was still good I only needed to buy one strut. Saved quite a bit of cash - we'll see how it works out..

[​IMG]

Also spent most of today swapping tail housings from my S10 T5 to my Camaro T5. The only thing missing from my S10 tranny that I need is the reluctor wheel for the electronic speedo. Since the Camaro had a mechanical speedo it wasn't going to work.

But I got a lead from another hamb thread that a reluctor wheel can be ordered from The Gear Box (part# 1352-009 40T). They're not open until Monday so I'll have to put that call off for a few days. Oh, and I'll also need the electronic speedo insert (to mate to the reluctor) - perhaps they sell those, too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love my driveway workbench. :)

6. shadams

shadams

Nice, I like it its coming together. I am really worried about my rear suspension as it has hardly any give at all.

7. looks good smart move to open drive it from the beganing and not waste money on the original trans and rearend. you might want to consider updating your master cylinder too

8. Nice project

9. Thanks Shadams - I did remove two leaves from my rear spring packs (3 & 5). So that probably softens it as well. And I don't have my shocks installed yet either. But I really do think the new spring perches made a huge difference.

Yes, I suppose a new master cylinder would be a good thing at this time since I need to re-plumb all the brake lines anyways. I'll have to start looking into that. Thanks for the reminder Cut Master!

10. Ok, looks like I didn't do my homework well enough. I was thinking I could use the 14 spline T5 with my original clutch package, but I pulled the original trans and I see it is a 10 spline. :(

Soooo, doing some more research to see what might work and came across this entry in the Stovebolt forums.

I have a 52 Chevy truck with a 58-62 235 with a 3 speed (installed by the PO). This means that prior to the T-5 install I have a stock 11" flywheel, 9" 10 spline clutch, and a 10.4" pressure plate. I pulled all this and am now ready to put it back together with the T-5. I will be using the original 11" flywheel (surfaced at the machine shop), a new 9 11/16" 14 spline clutch disc (RCF-4201), and a new 10.4" pressure plate (CA1675). This should work but the pressure plate was listed as a car part not a truck part in the Napa parts books. Anyone know what the deal is? Was this put in cars and trucks or is the tranny and possibly the motor out of a car?

HAMB member option:
    I will be using a RCF-4201 NAPA# Clutch disc,10" 14 spline, stock 10"preasure plate, stock fly wheel from a 56 235. Shorten the input shaft and the bearing retainer. You will also have to extend the splines on the input shaft to allow the disc to move further back on the shaft, can be done with a cut off wheel and a file to clean them up. use the stock throw out bearing and fork with linkage.

Still another option I saw was an 11 inch flywheel & 11 inch disc from an 85 Astro van and a small block pressure plate.

I'll continue my research for my best option, but anyone else put a 14 spline T5 on a 235? What clutch package did you use?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  11. Pulled the clutch disc & pressure plate and I see I have an 11" disc. Research shows I just need to pick up a 10 1/2 disc for a 14 spline S10. Speedway has one for $69 so I'll probably just go that route.

Started to work on the bedsides - was going to remove the angle strips since they are shot and I bought new ones when I bought the bed strips. When I saw I needed to grind all those spot welds I lost my ambition. Another day. I'm whooped.

12. Starting prepping the bedsides so I can install the bed floor. The bedsides are pretty rough and will need to have some metal work done - especially in the rear stake pocket area. I really should buy a new stake pocket but we just can't afford it right now after spending some $s for a new clutch disc, used carter yf carb, reluctor & electronic speedo sender.
    Removed the old angles from the bedsides, cleaned the rust in that area the best I could with an old drill & wire wheel, and POR15'd it. Painted the new angles and am ready to attach to bedsides. I'm not going to spotweld - just drill & bolt every 10 inches or so.

Just got the clutch disc yesterday - a 10-1/2 14 spline from Speedway ($69). So that can go back in.

Also bought a rebuild kit for the Carter carb. Once I get that rebuilt and replace the Rochester I'm hoping I can play a little more with getting the engine running.

Oh, one other thing. I had pulled my 3 spd tranny and was going to sell the tail ball & collar to a fellow hamber. But once I got it apart I discovered that the universal joint had been flopping around inside and had chewed up the ball too badly. Two bolts were completely out and were bouncing around inside as well. Not sure if a PO had not installed properly or what, but I'm really glad I didn't decide to run with it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sooo... lots of things to do, but I'm hoping a little each day will eventually get her done. Also hoping to get my 14yr old involved a little more - he's expressed an interest in learning more about cars. :) The company would be nice, too.

13. shadams

shadams

That looks nasty. Glad you found that issue...

Just yesterday and today I started messing with the bed sides. Got them and the front panel soaking in acid as we speak. I am going to look very close at my angle strips and if they look ok I am going to straighten them out, seal them up good, and buy the covers that go over them. I hope I can do that cause I am sick of drilling out spotwelds.

I also found 1 stake pocket a little loose, will try and tack it in place a little better. I think I am going to close up the stake pockets and various holes and pound out a few dents on the rails and front panel.

Keep up the good work. Those are dang nice pics too, must be a fancy camera...

14. cooljralan

cooljralan
    from nc

you can use clutch set for a mid 80's 4.3 which is 11''. i have this in my 53 5 window with a s10 5 speed. you also need a quarter inch spacer between the bellhousing and trans to allow proper clutch engagement. i pulled my trans out so much i wore the bolts out before i got it right.

15. Thanks for the tip cooljralan. I'm hoping I don't have to keep taking my tranny out - just waiting for my reluctor & electronic speedo so I can button it up and bolt her in.

Went to the Syracuse Nationals today. Got there at 8:15 and cruised the swap area for about an hour and a half. Found a Carter 964s one barrel just like the one I rebuilt the night before, but it was in much better condition! Only paid $25 for it - couldn't pass it up. I may eventually pick up a dual intake & use the pair. Gonna pull it apart tonight and see what kind of condition it is on the inside.

Went back later in the afternoon with my wife & kids. Walked the grounds and barely saw 1/4 of the cars. Talk about overload. Every year I go (only about 15 minutes a way) and it helps get the juices going. Lots of Chevy ADs there from which to get ideas and inspiration.

Also built a electrolysis bath and have been de-rusting some parts the last couple of days. Nothing any different than others have done - just some 2x6's to build a frame and lined with plastic. Working great.

That's all for now - I have a carb to tear apart. :)

16. Got the new Carter yf 964s carb rebuilt. Bolted it on and tried to start it up. Even while jumping the battery I couldn't get the engine to turn over long enough before the battery would die. Took it in to get it tested and found out it was bad so I picked up a new battery.

Got the engine to fire but something was just not right. Started looking and could see that the gasket was shot where the intake manifold bolted to the block, and it was sucking air around the front intake. That could make a difference. :)

Unbolted the intake/exhaust manifold and ordered a new gasket set - should be in today so hopefully tonight I can get it back together and give it another try.

Got my reluctor and electronic speedo sender today in the mail. Unfortunately, the sender was a mechanical to electronic converter - not a electronic sensor.

So I still need to find me a electronic speedo sensor for my s10 tailshaft before I can finish putting it back together. Interesting because the mechanical sender from the Camaro T5 is even a smaller diameter than the electronic sender I need.

Anybody have a electronic speedo sensor lying around? See post #65 for the tailshaft (top one in last pic) I need to fit.

17. Been awhile since I updated, but I have made some progress.
    I modified the transmission crossmember to fit the t5 trans and got the transmission installed. All that's left is to reinstall the flywheel cover pan and to hook up the clutch linkage.

I shimmed the reluctor wheel onto the s10 tailshaft before buttoning up the trans, and have also found an electronic speedo sender for it.

Also, picked up a working (and not leaking) Rochester carb for the time being. Got it tuned and running pretty good once I discovered the vaccuum wiper hose was broken and it was sucking air. Blockec that off for the time being.

Measured for the driveshaft and had one made to fit. Haven't installed it yet, but once in, all I will need are brakes before I can test drive. :)

Won't be able to do much more on it until after Halloween. Just too busy decorating and getting ready for the kids' party this weekend. Besides, it is now temporarily being used as a Halloween prop. Here is a picture as it sits now. I think it looks right at home. :)

[​IMG]

18. shadams

shadams

Ha, sweet. Cool set up for fright night. Kind of a scary area with all the big trees by itself anyway...

19. Yes, we've got a nice location for decorating and scaring the kids. I figure this year I might even scare some hambers with my makeshift tail lights on my AD. :)

20. shadams

shadams

So where you at?

21. Nice build, just found this tonight. Glad you keep posting even when you dont get help with your questions. Make sure you check over your frame good where the center crossmember rivets to the frame just in front of the rear spring hangers. It collects water and crud in there. I had to patch and reinforce one side of mine there. Goodluck, and keep us updated!

22. Coach529

Coach529

23. Since I took all of October off from working on the truck I haven't got much done. Oh yeah, I also had to replace the head gasket on my 2000 S10 which took a whole weekend in November. :(

Anyways, I did get the drive shaft installed and filled the tranny with fluid. My drive shaft install looks just like Shadam's picture he posted. :) Fired it up yesterday morning just to get the fluid splashed around. First time it was running since I installed the transmission. I was dying to put it in gear and take it for a spin around the yard, but with no brakes I managed to resist the urge. :)

Ordered and received some emergency brake cables from Classic Parts so now I have all the parts I need to get the brakes done (well, other than the master cylinder adapter bracket which I'm going to make myself to save a few bucks).

It snowed during the night, and since all my work is being done in the driveway there probably won't be much progress until Spring. Winter sucks.

24. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

A whole weekend....man, you are killing me. My little '46 is powered by an s10 2.2, and I had to change out the head earlier this year. First time I've been that deep in anything. It only took me a month...:D
    But, I was doing it a few minutes at a time of an evening, with a 5 year old daddy's girl "helping"..
    Beatiful work on the old truck. This here is what Minnesota 68 needs to put in Sam...

25. Five-oh, that's a sweet looking 46 you've got. I really like the 2.2 in my S10 - that's why I had to put the time into fixing it. And the only reason I finished it in a weekend was because I would have forgotten where all the pieces went if it took any longer! :)

26. shadams

shadams

Weird, I too have an S-10 with a 2.2 It is my gas mileage truck since I have a 60 mile roundtrip to work. It is my 4th S-10, love em. Anyway, looking forward to progress pics.

27. Shadams, what's even weirder is that my S10 is a 2000 also! :)

I've been meaning to upload the pictures showing how I modified my original transmission cross member to accept a later GM transmission mount. Originally I was going to use the Camaro mount (seen in 2nd picture) that I got with my Craigslist t5, but I later bought a narrower one (last picture) that sat better on the cross member. Because I switched mounts midway through my mod I ended having to use a spacer to raise it up a quarter inch. I used a section of a broken leaf spring which was the perfect thickness but a pain in the *ss to drill.

Anyways, here are the pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded, holes drilled, painted, and ready to go back in.
    [​IMG]

28. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Thanks...And those little o/t bangers are good for some miles. Mine had 212k on it when it burned a valve, and my sister has one with nearly 300k on it now, still running like a sewing machine.

And I'll be eyeing this thread in the future. Guy I bought the '46 from has a '53 I want bad, and if I ever talk him out of it, I want to swap a T-5 in it so I can drive it more...

29. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

Sweet dude looks like a good start. Here is my beater.

Attached Files:

30. Love your truck Uncle Jess - it's sitting mighty fine. And that's the thing about these old trucks -you can drive em how you find em and fix them up along the way.