Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy 3100 project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by simplestone, Feb 19, 2012.

1. I don't really know what I was thinking, but my wife & I just purchased ourselves another project. We haven't picked it up yet (it's about a 5 hr drive away), but the price was right (IMO) and I just couldn't pass it up.

I've actually been looking at the 48-54 ADs for over a year now. Constantly checking craigslist, etc for something I could afford and close enough to be able to drag home. Well, I think I finally found it. I know it's rough, but it is 95% complete and pretty straight. It has the 235, and it does run. It was also converted over to 12 volts some time back. The engine compartment looks like a spider web with all the wires. Eeek.

I'm going to try to post a couple of pictures here (never posted before so...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plans are to make it road worthy, and then update more over time. Ha, we'll see how that goes!

I'm planning on using a tow dolly to get this thing home, but have heard that it's best to disconnect the drive shaft. Pretty sure this will have the torque tube, and I've never dealt with one of these before. Any problems disconnecting from rear axle? Or would it be best to just leave it connected & put it in neutral? I would like to reduce drag during towing & also wear on tranny, etc.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    MO54Frank likes this.
  2. Be sure to check out the Advanced Design Group on here. Lots of good info. I don't know about stress when towing it. But you can disconnect the torque tube at the rear end.

3. Thanks. I haven't joined any groups yet, but I'll do that as soon as I figure out how.

4. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Looks great! Better than our 49 when I brought it home. I flat towed a car from MN to CA back in 72 and it still has the rear in it working fine. Make sure you have fluids in the tranny and rear, nothing in the cab or on the seat which can bounce around and knock it in gear (long story)and you shouldn't have any trouble. Just keep to a reasonable speed and have decent tires on the truck ass end.

5. Dizzie

Dizzie

Your truck looks to be in about the same shape as mine when I got it. I wish I would have taken pics of mine before I started. Good luck with your project.

Attached Files:

'34 Ratrod likes this.
  6. jerseymike

jerseymike

scroll up to the top of this page. in the black bar click on "community" then click on "social groups". on the bottom right hand side, click on "view all groups" that's where you can join the group. good luck with your project.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. sskustoms

sskustoms

Looks like a good project !! Here is some before and after pictures of my 50 chevy , also check out the AD trucker site on here to

Attached Files:

8. Ok, great - I just joined the AD Trucker group. Thanks for the instructions jerseymike! Lots of good information there so I'm sure I'll be going back there often.

And thanks for the inspiration dizzie & sskustoms - love your trucks!
    I can't wait to get mine home!

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Welcome to the AD truck world.....Good looking truck especially for the northeast! I just finished mine in the fall and enjoy driving it everyday! Post pics throught its transformation.

10. Nice starter, good luck!

11. D-man313

D-man313

Looks like a great start! There is alot of good info on here and the AD group. Here are some before and during shots of mine(still not %100 done but im enjoying it)

Keep us updated.

Attached Files:

12. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Looking good Dman! I havent seen your thread ome across lately...you up n runnin fully? Mines going strong everyday!

13. Just bought the towing hardware for my 2007 Odyssey and waiting for it to arrive. I know this tow is going to be pushing the limits of my van since I think I read the weight of these trucks go about 3200 lbs. The tow limit for the van is rated at 3500 including passangers, trailer, etc so I'm probably going to be a little over the 3500. :/

But I figure if I take it nice and easy I should be ok. Any towing nightmares or pitfalls to avoid?

14. ...from here that looks like a decent project truck. Good luck towing it, I'd not try to unhook the driveshaft, just take routes where you can go slower; maybe have a follow-up car with flashers. Check the tires to see what cond. they are in, have a spare and a jack. Keep us posted.

15. D-man313

D-man313

Thanks, Your truck turned out great. I didnt do a build thread, thought about it a little late. Ya I've been up and running since about august, driving it any chance i get which is why i built it!!

16. Congrats on your purchase. Great plan, drive and enjoy before you break it down. I had mine now for 5 years and have enjoyed driving it around and now giving it the full attention it deserves.

Attached Files:

17. Thanks for the pics Gulfstream - looks like you've got a pretty solid 5 window, and you're making some great progress. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it back on the road!

If the weather cooperates I'm hoping to get my home this weekend. I've installed the hitch and trailer wiring on my Odyssey and now just need to install the tranny cooler. I'm anxious to see how bad mine really is...

18. Yeah I think I should be done in six months give or take a couple. I really enjoy the building as much as I enjoy driving.

19. shadams

shadams

Dude, get ready.....It will turn into a full on project soon enough if you ar anything like me. Check out my build thread in my signature and feel free to PM me anytime if you have questions. I am smack in the middle of mine so it is all fresh in my mind. Good luck!!!

20. Yes, I'm kind of afraid you're right Shadams - I'm the type of person who finds a problem and just can't help but to fix it, but then that uncovers another problem, then another... So I just need to resist that urge otherwise it will be in pieces in no time!

I had already found and subscribed to your thread. Some really good stuff there. I'm following along and am anxious to see how yours comes out!

21. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

Good luck towing with an Odyssey. I have a 2002 and its on its forth tranny at 2400+. I hope they fixed the problems.nice truck. I am looking at picking up a 51

22. Well, tomorrow is the day we drag this thing home. I'm excited, but I'll feel much better once we make it back home with no major incidences.

I've elected to use the tow dolly rather than the full auto transport because there's a difference in weight of about 1500 lbs. I just don't think my Odyssey could handle that extra weight. I pulled all the extra seats out of the van to help lighten the load even more.

I'm bringing along my 14 yr old son for help and moral support (and to take pictures!)
    I don't plan on having any stories to post to the towing catastrophe thread. :)

23. shadams

shadams

Ha!! Dont worry man, you'll be fine. Just take it easy. That is so cool too, going to get the truck with the boy!! Post those pics when you get back!!

24. Picked up the truck yesterday and spent some time today checking it out.
    Odyssey handled the tow fine. I just kept the speed to 55 or less and took it really easy on the hills. Made for a long day (picked up the dolly at 7am and got back home with the truck about 10:45pm), but I'm excited to finally have it in the driveway.

Overall it's about what I expected. Bed is worse than I thought, though. Front panel is pretty bent up and completely rusted out on the bottom - I'd guess about 2-3 inches.

Spent some time trying to get the door latches to work. Passengers side wouldn't open with inside or outside handles, and drivers door wouldn't stay closed. I had to remove some carpet that had been screwed to the inside door (had to go anyways) then used WD40 on the latch mechanisms until they loosened up. At least now the passengers door works. Drivers door now closes but only opens from the inside.

I would have removed the mechanisms, but I didn't have the right tool for the screws. I wasn't expecting these. Anyone know what this type of screw head is called? And where I can pick up a tool to fit it?

[​IMG]

Couple of other pictures
    ... on the way home...
    [​IMG]

... and then in the driveway in it's final resting place :)
    [​IMG]

Oh, and we saw this on the way down to PA to get the pickup. It went by us on an auto transport trailer. Wish I had that one, too. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  25. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Screws are called clutch head. You can buy a set of drivers at Chevs of the 40s. Its one of those screw drivers with the interchangable tips. On the larger ones I like to use a 1/4" ratchet, extension, and 1/4" socket to turn them.
    Solid looking truck for a starter. Good luck on the build.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  26. Napa also carries them also

27. I've got a line on a t5 transmission from an early to mid 80s Camaro for $150. From what I've read this tranny should bolt up to the 235 with no adapter plate needed. I realize that I will have to swap the tail for an S10 t5 to locate the shift lever further forward, but this tranny also comes with the yoke. So will I be able to use this drive shaft yoke with the s10 tail?

Also picked up a couple (only two they had) clutch head bits from Napa. One fit the smaller screws in the door, but neither fit the larger screws. So I still need to pick up another...

28. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Nice project, looks familiar! I didn't bother with the clutch head screws though, just cut 'em.

[​IMG]

29. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

[​IMG]

On those I just got a cheapo screwdriver I had layin around and ground the tip down(skinnier) to fit.

Truck looks good!