Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chev PU rear end question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrie, Jul 31, 2011.

1. I'm changing rear ends in a 51 Chev pick up and it seems to be the rear axle housing needs the perch holes offset to the front. Anyone know just how much?

2. Cymro

Cymro

3. squirrel

squirrel

You'll get different answers....my suggestion it to spend some time staring at how the tire fits in the wheel opening, and decide what you like best. I personally like the wheel sitting in the stock location, which is kind of forward, and makes the tire fit the curve of the wheel opening at the top. Others think it should be moved back, so it's more centered on the bottom of the opening, and don't worry about how it doesn't fit the curve right at the top.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flip the old axle over and measure from the center of the hole in the mount pad to the center of the axle. I think it is 1-3/4 inches but but it may be 1-1/2.

Regular spring pads will raise the rear end of the truck a bit higher than stock so that is something to think about too if you don't want the rear end up in the air higher than it was. That wasn't bad when I first did mine in 1973 but may not cut it now.