Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Buick Rivera

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by MoValMike, Jun 28, 2013.

1. MoValMike

MoValMike

My brother is giving us a long neglected project. A 1951 Buick Rivera. All parts are present, he is including a fresh SBC 350. No cancer at all. All the glass is good, dash was disassembled and all interior parts, gauges, & other important stuff is in the garage. Tomorrow I will post the model numbers and stuff.
    My hope is to get some helpful info from all you motor heads out there.

Thanks, Mike

Attached Files:

2. MoValMike

MoValMike

It is a Model 4519, Rivera Sedan

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. Smokey2

Smokey2

Great ! Tell us a little 'bout Youself, an maybe about you Brother also.............Intro !

4. MoValMike

MoValMike

model 4519, Rivera Sedan

5. MoValMike

MoValMike

I am a 65 year old Retired USAF. My wife and I have had many Hot Rods over the last 47 years. About 20 years ago my Brother bought the 51 Buick Rivera Sedan from our neighbor here in Moreno Valley, CA. We took it all apart and there it sat till now. The car was purchased for $500 from Al and Jeanny Tyler of Sunnymead, CA. They were the original owners who drove it from Kentucky in about 1960.

6. buford26

buford26

4519 is the Fisher body style number, the Buick model number is 52. If you post the rest of the info from the body tag I can decode it for you.

Buick model number 52 = Super 4-door sedan (Riviera)

Fisher body style number 4519
    4 = Buick
    5 = Series 50/Super
    19 = 4-door sedan (Riviera), 6-passenger

7. welcome aboard ....

looks like a good start ..

8. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Welcome from NC, great Buick project!

9. MoValMike

MoValMike

On the ID tag below the 4519 it says BD 687, below that it says 50, below that it says 05

10. buford26

buford26

BD is probably the plant code for where the body was built, but there wasn't a BD so it should be one of the following:

G = Flint, MI
    BC = South Gate, CA
    BL = Linden, NJ
    BK = Kansas City, KS
    BW = Wilmington, DE
    BA = Atlanta, GA
    BF = Framingham, MA

687 should be the body number

50 would be the trim code = Grey Bedford Cord with Plain Grey Cloth

05 would be the paint code = Barton Grey

11. MoValMike

MoValMike

Thanks a lot. The paint code will be very helpful, our interior is toast cause the windows have been open for 20 years.

12. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

From one Buick guy to another Welcome. Keep the pic's coming as you go.
    Good luck with your project!!

13. MoValMike

MoValMike

ID Plate.jpg

This is the only pic I have of the ID Plate

14. buford26

buford26

Looks like the plant code is BC so the body was built at South Gate, CA. Your frame serial number (usually the VIN) should start with a 2 for South Gate. Looks like Fisher Body didn't stamp the Buick model number, which was common since they really only cared about their body style number because they built cars for all GM divisions. Here are a couple of tags with the model number stamped on them. The "51-" preceding the model number and the body style number indicates the model year, also missing from your tag.

Attached Files:

15. MoValMike

MoValMike

Thanks for the info.
    Can any please post a pic of the dash of a 51 Buick Special 4-door Riviera I am getting everything ready, but I don't know placement of gauges. From the left, smaller hole for gauge, next, big speedo, got that one ok, next a smaller hole for gauge, then the big chrome, then a smaller hole for a gauge.

16. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Welcome to the HAMB from South Ga.

17. MoValMike

MoValMike

We are getting a SBC and trans, from a 85 Chevy Van. The gut selling it said I can get EVERTHING except he wants all 4 wheels on the ground so he can push it around in his lot. We are getting radiator, full A/C setup, and everything else we can. He wants to store lawn mowers in the van (?) so we get the rest...$600. and he will allow me to make payments. What a guy. He said the van ran, but he broke a rear axle and parked it 10 years ago.

18. dad-bud

dad-bud

Welcome Mike.
    It looks like you have bitten off plenty, but if you just keep chewin' on it, you'll get there.
    Enjoy your car and your time here on the HAMB
    Cheers.
    Oh yeah, sounds like you got a good deal on your motor, trans, etc

19. MoValMike

MoValMike

I have spent the last couple weeks removing rust, priming and applying primer to everything. My son Bill, our friend Jeff, and my Grandkids have been working non-stop on our Buick. We have the drivers side just about finished. Located an 85 Chevy van for a parts car. We are planning on using the engine, trans, A/C, heater, and anything else we can pull off of it. The current owner only wants a rolling body so he can store stuff in it. I'm attatching some pics of our progress.

20. Veach

Veach

Welcome from Texas and good luck on that build

21. MoValMike

MoValMike

HELP!
    How do the rear lights install?
    I have the tail light bucket, nice chrome tail light chrome rings, new lenses, they all go together nice. Problem: How do you mount them into the fender?
    2 bolts stick thru the light bucket, but there is NOTHING TO BOLT THEM TO!