Register now to get rid of these ads!

'50s song titles on your ride -- common???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

"Back in the day" on the west side of Detroit there was a 57 Ford with "Twistin'Time" painted on the lower front fender. That morph into "Twistin' Time" II then III. It was a beast. Another one in the neighborhood was a 62 Ford w/ "Reverend Baker" on the fender. He preached alot of sermons on sunday with that 406.

2. Ricky B

Ricky B

I like Slo Ride for my wagon.

3. From the photos I have seen form here in Detroit it was very common in the 50's and 60's. My buddy Gator had many cars with a song title letered somewhere on it. I will be the first to admit those dolls and trays are not my cup of tea, but I am 41 and didnt spend my formaidable teenage years at the drive in, listeneing to the jukebox and dancing with my girl. Many of those people did and have fond memeories of that, so the explains the trays, the song titles on the car. Teenage rebbillion entailled rock and roll, dating, and getting some wheels. Man simpler times for sure.

4. hoop

hoop

In 1960 I bought a 1953 Merc 2dr. ht. that was driven to the Boston area from California. Had "Little Star" on the rear quarters above the wheel openings.

5. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

"Lonely Blue Boy," "Sweet Nothins," "Earth Angel," & "Suzie Darlin" are a few I remember; My all time favorite was a 55 Chevy (in 1958) copper bronze 2 dr sedan called "The Quiet One."

6. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

A guy at work has one named "Dick Smoker" , guess it has worn valve guides.:eek:

7. "I must admit that when I'm about to turn out the shop lights at the end of the day, I can't help but turn around to take one more look and feel a debt of gratitude to the guys that showed us the way, back in the early days of hot rodding. I hope that they would be pleased, wherever they are".

I thought the Vaughn Monroe "Ghost Riders" would be be fitting for the roadster project.
    Ron

Attached Files:

8. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Actually Stanlow69 and Rocky are close, My Dad's cars (Harry Olsen), 51 Ford "Little Brown Jug" was a Glenn Miller song, Chopped 52 Ford "Just a Dream" was a Jimmy Clanton song and his current Chopped 49 Merc was at one time called Dilly Dilly from the song Lavender Blue Dilly Dilly. Thanks for posting this guys as it brings back great memories for me.

dolsen37

9. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Back when we crashed the Anglia racing. Some turd came by that night while it was still setting on the trailer and wrote "Wipe out" on it with white paint. Does that count. Never did find out who did it.

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Common in So Wis in the late 50's and 60's too.
    Usually in script on the bottom front fender behind the wheel.
    A friend of mine had a beautiful '49 or '50 merc and named it "Cherry Yet"
    His dad made him remove it two weeks later....
    Some others I remember were a black 58 Chevy Impala named "El Diablo", a '53 Ford ....."Half Fast"......... one named "Running Scared".....and so on...
    Cool era for sure!!

11. in '62 I was 13 yrs old I named my first Cushman scooter, a green Highlander "Green Onions" after the Booker T & the MG's song.

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yes,at lest here in Fla./Ga.,I painted names on many cars for a lot guys in the late 50's/early 60's at car shows ect.,even had "Walk Don't Run" on one of my own for a short time.

13. long island vic

long island vic

on the back of my 30 hudson i have lettered......dum ass 50,s saying goes here

14. roughneck424

roughneck424

I always thought " Gangsta of Love" would be a good name?
    Just not sure of what car or period to build it to?
    Maybe a 70's Van aka " Shaggin Wagon" or some other car.

15. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Not mine, but a few I remember from back in the day around Van Nuys area.

"La Bamba" "Peggy Sue" " Rumble" "Topsy" "Earth Angel"

16. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Quite common here in South Jersey in the '50's.......most of the guys I hung with in high school named their cars.......I drove a dark metallic blue '50 Ford Club Coupe that had *My Blue Heaven* lettered on the rear quarter along the top of the windsplit........ a good buddy had a blue '53 tudor named *M.I.Blue*.......get it?

There were many others.....a guy with a particularly badass '58 Pontiac who street-raced a lot called his *Flying Thunder*......I know that because I was the one who lettered it on his rear quarter!

CB

17. ford51

ford51
    from sweden

I named my 51ford to Tongue-Tied Jill after a Charlie Feathers song from 1956.He was a great artist!

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm naming my Chev "Starship Enterthighs"...

19. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

My Nash is the Spinach Monster.

If you can guess that one, you win.

20. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Guess I have a soft spot for song names on cars. In the 60s I courted my wife of 44 years with a big blog corvette coupe that I had lettered on front fenders "Soul and Inspiration" which was our song. In the 80s I had a chopped '50 Mercury, swapped a Willys for it with Bob Moscoffian of Worcester car show fame, and painted it white pearl with "Lost in the Fifties" on the rear quarters. But the best song title I have seen was at Dover Dragstrip in the 60s, a black on black '62 Chevy that had "Locomotion, a little rythum and a lot of go" in script over the actual first few notes of the song on actual music staff.
    And speaking of censored car names, guy in my class at Auto Tech school, Morrisville SUNY, had Horny Toad on the fenders of his '56 Ford hardtop but the Dean made him put tape over the first word when he was on campus.

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Isn't it funny how the passage of time can turn "popular", "cool", and to use a much overused term "traditional" into "cliched", "hokey", and "corny". It seems to me that there can't be much argument that naming your ride after a 50s song can be a very "traditional" thing to do, but the choice of song can make the difference between cool and corny. I mean, this is purely my personal opinion and posted with the benefit of hindsight (I wasn't around in the 50s, but it's my favourite period), but something as obvious as "Peggy Sue" (Buddy Holly) or "blue Angel" (Roy Orbison) I would perceive as lame. On the other hand, something like "speedoo" (the Cadillacs), "somethin' else." (Eddie Cochran) or maybe "mean streak" (Cliff Richard) could probably be pulled off. And when you get to "lost in the 50s" accompanied by an airbrushed portrait of Elvis, Marilyn Monro, James Dean or a Wurlitzer jukebox then I'm out of here.
    Paul

22. csclassics

csclassics

Though it's not painted on the car and won't be....I named my car The Peppermint Twist......its white and red.....and its a cool tune.

23. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

48 plymouth cpe named ROAD TOAD set like one 55 chevy convertible INDIAN GIVER slow off the line 35 chevy RUN BABY RUN dont see much of it today only on gassers

24. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

seen a 57 chevy at fort knox had HELL ON WHEELS on the back, story was the other guys were making some remarks about the drivers girl friend he drove it into a pole killed them all, i saw it after the accident

25. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

FWIW, I've decided to name my '62 Corvair pickup "Unsafe At Any Speed" in deference to the Ralph Nader book about Corvairs. (Thanks to the HAMBer who suggested it; you know who you are.) And yes, the PU is traditional: (slammed, suede, WWW on red powder rims, aftermarket spinner caps from the late '50s; it'll get a new T&R interior when I get more money.) Thanks to all you HAMBers for the name and title suggestions and for the opportunity to reminisce.

26. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

When growing up in Arizona I remember a Blue '56 Ford with "Sea of Love" painted on it and a white '56 Chevy Chevy with "Casper" painted on it. So yes, it was done.

27. lowmaster

lowmaster

My dad's 50 Merc Has Alley OOP Lettered on the trunk lid with a cool caveman peeking over the top. We have never found who painted it that way.

28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

My '54 Ford is baby blue with a white satin top,I call her "Baby Blue" after the song by Gene Vincent one of my all time favorites,may have "Baby Blue" on the trunklid in Royal Blue to match the striping I plan on.Gene & Eddie still rock on!

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have not thought of this in years. It was popular around my hometown. I remember a black 57 Ford ragtop with "Cathy's Clown", a 59 Impala with "Duke of Earl" and a 55 Bel-Air with "Travelin Man". Man I miss the good ole days!!!

30. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

In response to a couple of inquiries about my truck, I've named my 1962 Corvair Rampside pickup "Unsafe At Any Speed." You may remember this was the title of Ralph Nader's book that slammed Corvairs. He was wrong, by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.